Unanswered: Question about Access

Hey guys,

I am working on developing the UI for my database, and I'm not sure whether to keep it as an access database or move upwards to SQL Server Express.

When I was thinking about that I realized that I don't know what other program that I would use to create the front end application to go with my database.

What programs are generally considered to be the next tier up in UI design? Both for web databases and offline databases.

Thanks!
    Nick

Provided Answers: 14
    Anything .NET, if you want to stick by the Microsoft world.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    there's lots of competing products for both front end and back end
    for the back end there's the other server DB's from DB2, Oracle aswell as SQL server all of which have limited versions (usually limited in numbers of concurrent connections), there's free servers from MySQL, Postgres and various others (there's even a forl of MySQL from people not happy with it now being in Oracle hands the free servers tend not to have limitations on the numbers connecting, but they also tend tobe less feature rich than the full blown branded db's and finsign DBA's to support MySQL, Postrges and other free db's can be trickier.

as to front ends Access, Filemaker seem to do a good job, there's a host of scripting languages if you want to go down the webserver / cloud computing model (such as PERL, Ruby, PHP, ASP Python and so on), heck there are even 'full' loud computing offerings.

theres also the traditional language whether it be .NET, Java, Delphi and so on.

one thing to bear in mind is if you are after performance with Access using a server back end then you have to design the application from scratch to be server freindly (that means unbound controls, disconnected recordsets and loosing most of the glitzy out of the box wizards and code writing to populate list / combo boxes and so on. reporting is OK

unless you can dictate to your user base they must have Access then a remote deployed web db using an Access front end is a non starter,

some argue the world is moving away from the traditional design paradigm of a compiled language such as vb.net, c# etc, arguably Access was an early mover in the RAD pathway. but if you want to deploy remotely then I guess a web scritping is probably the better solution.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

So web development is my best option. What program should I use for building that to connect to my database?

Is visual studio 2010 a good option?

Thanks,
    Nick

Provided Answers: 59
    is web the best option I dunno, you';ve not provided enough information for anyone outside your project to give you any advice, especially advice from an unknown party such as anyone on this forum

if you go down the web route and want to use ASP.NET then visual studion may be the right tool for you.

if budgets are tight then
    alternatives to VB, C#, C++ could be Java (alternative in terms of targetting a compiled (or semi compiled) executable. Java doesnt' cost anything, there's lots of tools out there.
    alternatives to ASP.NET could be PHP, Phyton, Perl, Ruby and so on, again all free.

they will all do the job, they will all work, they all have different plusses and minuses. form waht you have said so far the potentail elephant n the room, the deal breaker is waht you mean by off line databases.

unl;ess you know the size anbd scale of the project I'd suggest you start with a db such as MySQL or Postgres or similar. be concious in your design of the application that you may need to switch db so keep the db interaction layer in separate modules and stick to ANSI SQL and don't use any vendor specific features which are not compatible or found in ANSI SQL. you may need to use some non standard features, but if your design has subclassed the db interaction you change the subclasses not the core code.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton