Unanswered: Files in db2dump directory

Hi, We are running DB2 v8.1 (out of support) on AIX 5.3. This was not upgraded due to the budgetary constraints. I have noticed that there are files started with t1*,t2*,....t8* and t9* in db2dump directory. I had browsed some of those and noticed that 'db2trap file' at the end. Can any one please tell that these file has any relationship among them as for any given occurrence it has created one of each t1*,t2*,....t7*, t8* and t9* ? We haven't had any issue with DB2 and I'm wondering why db2 created these dump files. I am in the process of cleaning up the db2dump directory and going to delete these files. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by p19689; 01-17-12 at 06:04.

Provided Answers: 11
    none of the files are needed anymore - no problem if deleted
    db2 creates these files if an internal problem occures
    db2diag.log keeps the occurance of the problem and *.bin *.txt *dump *trap files keep detailed info about the db2 problem and info about related environment
    these files are usually needed by IBM support when opening a pmr (not possible for V8 anymore)
    if new occurance - check diag.log for why this problem occured..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thanks for the reply. The files that I had mentioned do not have *.bin *.txt *dump *trap extensions. Instead those have 'nnn' numeric number as the extension. Is this because Db2 v8 and for newer version those have above file extensions ?

Provided Answers: 11
    I don't have a complete list of all possible extensions..
    these are not related to the db2 version
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be