Unanswered: Memory use? Ideal BDE settings

I have been having multiple issues with Paradox on three machines running Vista, Windows 7 and XP. The details are in other posts, but this one regards Paradox's memory use. I do not recall it being a hog, but now that I need to manually transfer information from a backup to an existing table (copying .doc files from a blob field in an older backup database to a form in a new one) I encounter behavior which indicates memory issues. Ram is 4GB on the newer OS's, 2GB on the older. Newer with dual processor, much extra space on drives.)

Behavior: After perhaps half an hour of use flickering, followed either by table locking (only the blob field), freeze. (Sounds like memory to me, but I am absolutely open.
    In the most effective machine (W7) I have upgraded to BDE 5.2xx (from Steve Prestwood) with a little improvement. Net share set to c:\memshare\net share

Questions (2)
    A: is Paradox indeed excessively memory intensive (This may be the first time I worked with two open files side by side, so I might not have noticed) and
    Is there any way to tweak the settings to improve performance and prevent issues with Blob files.

Thank you much..the current BDe settings are:

The various bde admin settings are below. Is there anything that could/should be tweaked to elicit better performance.
    unlock size 32768
    Fill Factor 95
    Level 7
    Strict integrity False
    Batch Count 200
    Blobs to Cache 64
    Roset size 20
    Schema Cache Size 8
    From System
    Max Buffer Size 4096
    Memsize 16
    Minbufsize 128
    Low Memory usage limit 32
    Max file handles 48

first, as I say here over and over and over, technical questions should be asked over on the "community" web site, because that's where the community hangs out.. it's just me, here..

Home - Paradox Community

second, tweaking the BDE settings rarely does anything, in any context, except making matters worse..

from your description, I'd suspect the blob file itself, long before anything else.. blob files are often VERY unstable, and repeated updating of a table like that can easily cause problems with the blob file..

whenever possible, it's much safer to have a regular field in a table, that points to an external file that you open with the default "viewer".. Word for doc files, Excel for xls files, etc.. yes, it sounds like more work, because it *is* more work, unfortunately
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

And I would like to, but....

I can't post in the community. It says my registration is not complete, please check my mail, but there is nothing there. I might have signed up long ago with a dead address? And there is no obvious place to sign up again. So you do what you does, when you gots to.

there is no obvious place to sign up again

AFAIK you don't need to register to get to the support pages.. but if you do, go to the About page, there's a Contact link there
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too