Unanswered: data representation

hi..

i am designing a project on "EXAM_SECTION" such that in the result table i have to maintain the record of each student. the problem is how can i maintain a single record for the result table regarding to each semester ( since there are 8 semesters).

Removed previous text because of inappropriate response.
    What design did you tried? And what were issues in the trial.
    Last edited by tonkuma; 01-18-12 at 03:37.

data representation

in result table for one student record there were IA marks and also external marks to separate them i used delimiters as @ # and $ for each semester( 8 semesters).

like #IA@EX$TOTAL#. It takes IA marks until it reads @ delimiter similarly for external marks, and also for total..

i felt its implementation is so complex. is there any easy method rather than this....?

Can you use a relational representation where you have a 2nd table, which lists the IA marks and external marks individually in single rows? That means, you have one student records in a STUDENTS table. Then you have a MARKS table (or whatever you want to name it), which has 1 column STUDENT_ID, 1 column SEMESTER, 1 column IA_MARK and another column EXTERNAL_MARK or so.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

result table

i thought doing that only but it increases number of tables so i thought to place all the student records of result in only single table which helps to retrieve query easily..

i want to put all the result(of all semesters) of student in only one record(row)..

so what can i do..???

plsss reply...

Why do you want to use a relational database system if you don't want to store data in relational fashion?

Note that DB2 can easily handle 1000s of tables. So I wouldn't worry about adding another table if it makes sense. Given your description, I believe it does make lots of sense.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development