Unanswered: Advanced PICK help

Hi im hoping someone can help me with my problem with advanced pick.
    Im trying to help my dad out with his business and hes been running an advanced pick database system for a good 20 years now, the system works fine but the computers need upgrading. Ive recently built him a new computer (64 bit quad core atom/ion) and he wanted to run advanced pick on it as it would solve a lot of problems for him - mainly when it comes to backing up the system at the end of the day instead of having to wait 40 mins with a tape drive/floppy discs he could save an image of it in a matter of seconds.

Ok so he tells me that advanced pick wont run on a 64 bit processor, i was thinking of possibly running it through a virtual machine through windows 7 i.e. virtualbox. Is that adviseable? I dont know much about this sort of stuff so any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 54
    If you want to run the Advanced PICK "as is" in a virtual machine, I'd strongly recommend using VMWare Workstation instead of VirtualBox or a similar tool. Advanced PICK was pretty stable as far as the way that it interfaced with the hardware, but many of the third party add-ons were "interesting" in their behaviors.

It is relaitvely safe and easy to pop in a VMWare CD and p2v an Advanced PICK machine. It is relatively difficult to get a complete and stable image using VirtualBox. The worst part is that I've had cases where an image seemed to be fine until I got to some specific point such as year or quarter end, or EDI interface, etc... Unless you have the time and resources to test exhaustively enough to bet your business on it, I'd take the conservative approach.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks for replying Pat.

Ive since tried vmware but it gets stuck at the installation stage. What settings should I be running with vmware? Ive got it set up as a gsx server or something like that.

Im using an external usb floppy drive, do you think thats causing a problem with installation?

Ive managed to get hold of D3 for NT, which was running on Windows XP. Would it be possible to run it off a 32bit version of Windows 7?
    If not, Is there a way I can get this running on vmware and use it as a server?

Ok thats sorted now. I ran a windows xp virtual machine to get d3 working. But now I have a new problem... I try to install pick and i run out of disk space! When I try to install d3 it gives me a choice to select up to 48mb (nowhere near enough!) and then when I try to increase that through the settings it decides to crash. How do I overcome this?

Provided Answers: 54
    My first guess would be that you've configured your VMWare runtime too small. Next up would be that your host machine is low on disk space. The problem is that I don't know enough about your system to really help you resolve this issue.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Ive just build a new machine with an ion/atom processor with 2gb of ram and a 160gb hard drive.
    I dont think its VMWare thats the problem, its Pick thats running out of space.
    What im trying to do is restore the system from the advanced pick and as soon as it gets to 48mb it runs out of space.
    Perhaps you could PM me your number/email address and we could have a little chat?

can anyone help?

Still need help

Hi. I install AP-Pro in VMware Workstation 3.2.1 over WinXP without problems. Run very slow. I can not make to work the network card and without that feature the system is useless for my purpose. Because of that i stop any development. I not try to use serial ports neather any other backup. I think that floppys are the only option available. If you try that, use this configuration:
    Guess operating system: Other
    Hard disk drive: SCSI
    I recomend you to migrate to UniVerse, is very easy to migrate and run very smoothly in any platform.
    Good luck.

My two cents, port the code to jBase. You can download a free copy for single use to get things running and the port data when you are ready. It is BY FAR the best MV product with many hooks into widows apps and seamless operation with the OS.

jBASE International

Thanks ScottJoh, but i'm answering a question to amrconcept. Reply to amrconcept. Maybe can help him. I'm in UniVerse for a long way now and very satisfied.

As was I. I've worked in UV for 5 years but jBase is a far superior product and runs on a 64bit machine.

Hey thanks guys i'll give it a go!