Unanswered: New Informix User

Hi,

Apologies but I am new to Informix. I want a Unix user that already exists (called rtdw) to log into an Informix database and have rights (create, insert etc) on objects within their own schema. I would be very grateful for guidance in what DDL commands in terms of CREATE, GRANT etc are required. For example, I am unsure whether I need to create a new database called rtdw or granting the resource privilege to rtdw is sufficient.

Many thanks,

Paul

You don't specify which Informix version you're using... It's also not clear (to me) if the database you want to access already exists or not.

For a user to connect to a database he needs CONNECT privilege.
    If a user should be able to create objects on a database then he'll need at least RESOURCE privilege.
    Eventually you may want to GRANT him DBA privilege.

So...

GRANT CONNECT TO rtdw;
    GRANT RESOURCE TO rtdw;
    or
    GRANT DBA TO rtdw; -- allows all kinds of access to all the objects in the database

Hope this helps. If not, please post the remaining doubts

Thanks domusonline.

With regards to Informix version, it is 10.00.FC8.

I am using SQuirreL SQL Client to query the database and I have attached a screenshot to the thread. What I would like to do is create a new schema called rtdw (like openbet in the screen shot) in which the user rtdw can create tables, triggers etc and I am unsure how to create this new schema.

Many thanks,

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Informix.png  

Informix doesn't have a concept of schemas in that sense. In SQuirreL SQL Client, all Informix objects owned by a user are instead placed in an explorer sub-node with that owner name, so if "rtdw" has DBA privileges (see posting from "domusonline") and you are therefore able to create tables, they will appear to be in a "schema" called "rtdw".

Regards,
    Doug Lawry
    www.oninitgroup.com