Best education/career path for Oracle DBA

Hello. I am new to these forums. I am seriously considering Database Administrator as a career. Was wondering what the best education would be for a "to-be" DBA. Is it ok to go for an Associates degree, bachelors in Computer Science, Information Systems, or MIS, or would certifications be ok starting out.

Also, what would be the most ideal career path for an Oracle DBA. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

i am also a new dba learner. you may add me on skype (id: fivedbanine)

What's a "DBA"????
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser View Post
    What's a "DBA"????
    Don't Bother Asking (DBA).

A DBA is the Defautl Blame Acceptor.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Cool DBA Database Administrator

You got the keys to the filling cabinet. Do you know what that means.

A database is just a filling cabinet. With 100,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 records.

I got lucky and ask a programmer back in the 80's about it. He told something I'll never forget. The Government alway will need records kept. I live in DC at the time and never look back. My constint is government support. But it's the same in any largh & small organization. Now, do get me wrong. I don't know everything but it's been a interesting run. You don't here any missles droping out of the sky(Missle defense Agency) and Plans crashing abnormaly in the states(FAA) and if you owe taxes it's harder to hide them now(IRS). Good luck. but do your research. I also started with a Associates in Marketing then went for a Bachelors in Information Systems. This arena is based on experience and once you have it Your in Demand. Just look at all the jobs that I post on Jobs opportunites.