Unanswered: Need to open form and pass a value

I have a form called "frmLABEL-nac-print" that has a field called P_S_NUM. I need to pass the value from this form to a form called "frmSenset" that also has a field called P_S_NUM. I am using the statement below.

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , "[P_S_NUM] = " & [frmLABEL-nac]![P_S_NUM], acFormAdd, acWindowNormal

When I run my form, I receive a run-time error that VB can't find the field in my expression.

HELP !

Provided Answers: 14
    If you open the form "frmSenset" from "frmLABEL-nac-print" use:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = " & Me.P_S_NUM.Value, acFormAdd, acWindowNormal
    If you do not open the form "frmSenset" from "frmLABEL-nac-print" use:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = " & Forms("frmLABEL-nac-print").Controls("P_S_NUM").Value, acFormAdd, acWindowNormal
    Notes:

1. If you have a form called "frmLABEL-nac-print", you cannot abbreviate its name in "[frmLABEL-nac]" like you did.

2. You should refrain from using non-alphanumeric characters in the names of the objects (the underscore is OK).

3. You do not need to enclose every name within square brackets: this is usually necessary when you do not comply to 2. hereabove only.

4. The WhereCondition is the fourth parameter of the OpenForm method, not the third one.

5. Are you sure you need to use "acFormAdd" for the "OpenDataMode" (fifth) parameter? This seems contradictory with the use of a "WhereCondition" parameter.

6. If the column "P_S_NUM" is not defined as a numeric data type, you need to use single or double quotes in the WhereCondition, like this:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = '" & Me.P_S_NUM.Value & "'", acFormAdd, acWindowNormal
    Have a nice day!

Question to your reply

First, thanks for the great examples and clarifications on my code. You are really helping me shack off the rust. I think I am almost there with this coding. there is still an issue.

The form "frmLABEL-nac" uses a SQL table called SerNumSQL and the form "frmSenset" uses a table called EGGTestData. The form "frmSenset" is called by event procedure after update from the PART field on the form "frmLABEL-nac'. The 4 fields on the "frmSenset" are ID, P_S_NUM, Senset, Testdate.

ID is auto Identity in SQL
    P_S_NUM is getting its value from the OpenForm Method which you are helping me with.
    Senset will get its value from the user at the production line via KB entry.
    Testdate is =Now() function

I am using the first example you provided.

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = " & Me.P_S_NUM.Value, acFormAdd, acWindowNormal

Now, when I run the "frmLABEL-nac" form I no longer receive the run-time error 2465. The "frmSenset" is opening, however there is nothing in the P_S_NUM textbox. The field P_S_NUM is defined as nvarchar(10) in SQL. So I realize I need to use point 6 in your suggestion as follows:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = '" & Me.P_S_NUM.Value & "'", acFormAdd, acWindowNormal

After running the form with the code from point 6, I still have nothing in the textbox for P_S_NUM on the form "frmSenset".

Quote Originally Posted by john757uv View Post
    After running the form with the code from point 6, I still have nothing in the textbox for P_S_NUM on the form "frmSenset".
    When the OpenDatamode parameter of the OpenForm method is set to AcFormAdd, the form opens showing only a blank record. This is what I evoked in point 5. You get what you asked for, if I may say so
    Have a nice day!

You are correct

How should I open it acNormal or just leave it blank?

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post

5. Are you sure you need to use "acFormAdd" for the "OpenDataMode" (fifth) parameter? This seems contradictory with the use of a "WhereCondition" parameter.
    Not only seems contradictory, but in fact is contradictory! You cannot open a Form to only enter New Records yet open it to a given Record! And if you entered this in the Code module, having a Where clause, the Intelisense function will not even offer acFormAdd as a possible OpenDataMode option.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Opening the form

I understand what you are saying about theopening the form in Add mode. How should I open the form?. I thought I was blanking it out with the textbox using the OpenformAdd but I removed it and I still nam not seeing anything in my textbox. This is the line of code:

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , "P_S_NUM = '" & Me.P_S_NUM.Value & "'", acFormNormal, acWindowNormal

Passing value for record not to find somthing

I am trying to pass the value of P_S_NUM to the form "frmSenset" to populate the textbox not to find a specific record. Forgive my psedocode but here is the goal.

FormA.textbox(What ever is here) to FormB.textbox(put here)

Come to think of it, if what you want to achieve is:

1. Open the form "frmSenset" on a new (blank) record.

2. Supply the value for "P_S_NUM" from the value of its "P_S_NUM" counterpart in the form "frmLABEL-nac-print".

Here's a solution:

1. To open "frmSenset", in the module of "frmLABEL-nac-print":
    Code:
        DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSenset", , , , acFormAdd, , Me.P_S_NUM.value
    2. in the module of "frmSenset"
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()

If Not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then Me.P_S_NUM.value = Me.OpenArgs

End Sub
    If you want the supplied value be kept for every subsequent records when the form "frmSenset" remains open, save the value of OpenArgs and use its Form_Current event handler instead of the Form_Load event handler:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private m_SuppliedValue As Variant

Private Sub Form_Current()

If Not IsNull(m_SuppliedValue) Then Me.P_S_NUM.value = m_SuppliedValue

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()

m_SuppliedValue = Me.OpenArgs

End Sub
    Have a nice day!

I will give this a try

Thank you, I will try this. Sounds like you nailed it.

It worked

It worked. You are a great resource. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!