Unanswered: PICK BASIC Question

Hi,
    I'm new to PICK BASIC (our old programmer just left) but I do have programming experience just usually on the web. Anyway I have a quick question about a function that is being used that we want some different things to happen.

We're using browser.active to launch a browser window in IE. I was hoping there is a way to make this happen without the focus being transferred to the browser window.

Any help is much appreciated.

Provided Answers: 59
    dunno how much expertese there is here on Pick. you may weell be better off appraching a PICK specific forum
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    dunno how much expertese there is here on Pick. you may weell be better off appraching a PICK specific forum
    I would fo that but I can't seem to find any which is why I ended up here.

Provided Answers: 54
    You aren't maybe referring to PROC instead of BASIC are you? PROC would be where I would launch a browser on a PICK system that included a browser.

The browser.active() call isn't native to any version of PICK BASIC that I know, although it is native to Revelation and it's kin. Are you running real PICK, or one of the PICK-like products under Microsoft Windows?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    You aren't maybe referring to PROC instead of BASIC are you? PROC would be where I would launch a browser on a PICK system that included a browser.

The browser.active() call isn't native to any version of PICK BASIC that I know, although it is native to Revelation and it's kin. Are you running real PICK, or one of the PICK-like products under Microsoft Windows?

-PatP
    I was told that it was PICK/BASIC with a UniVersal database.

The command looks like: BROWSER.ACTIVATE "http://www.google.com"

My apologies fpr the mis-type.

Ok, I'm going to make a guess and say that you are probably running the Rocket Software UniVerse product. Rocket Software purchased the UniVerse product from IBM in 2009 and has been selling and supporting the product for several years.

There are many ways to install and deliver an application using UniVerse. If you are using the Windows client, you sould be able to access the Help | About menu to see what version is actually running on your development machine. This version is one of two factors that will determine what options you have in this scenario.

The second factor depends on how the UniVerse application is delivered to the end user. Is it a web application, a "two tier" app that accesses database files via the network, or an "n tier" app that accesses an application server? You need to find the lowest version number from the way or ways that the UniVerse application is delivered... Usually the first two digits are enough, but it is better to have the whole version number if you can get it.

Assuming that all of the versions are relatively recent (version 11 is current), you have a fair number of choices.... If there are any old runtime packages running your application, then things can get interesting!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Ok, I'm going to make a guess and say that you are probably running the Rocket Software UniVerse product. Rocket Software purchased the UniVerse product from IBM in 2009 and has been selling and supporting the product for several years.

There are many ways to install and deliver an application using UniVerse. If you are using the Windows client, you sould be able to access the Help | About menu to see what version is actually running on your development machine. This version is one of two factors that will determine what options you have in this scenario.

The second factor depends on how the UniVerse application is delivered to the end user. Is it a web application, a "two tier" app that accesses database files via the network, or an "n tier" app that accesses an application server? You need to find the lowest version number from the way or ways that the UniVerse application is delivered... Usually the first two digits are enough, but it is better to have the whole version number if you can get it.

Assuming that all of the versions are relatively recent (version 11 is current), you have a fair number of choices.... If there are any old runtime packages running your application, then things can get interesting!

-PatP
    I don't think it is this Rocket software you mentioned. We call it eclipse, the company was recently bought by Epicore. The client that it is run through is called eterm.

I'd bet that you mean Epicor Eclipse.

If that is the case, then you're running a customized version of the runtime (specific to the Eclipse product) that I've never used. It is relatively new and I've heard good things about it, but don't have access to a system or documentation to be able to help you much.

-PatP

Yes that's it but we're running the old eclipse through an interface called Eterm.