Unanswered: Why does my maintenance jobs not run?

Hi folks.
    I'm a newbee at DB2 as well as databases. I was tasked with setting up dump jobs of a couple of databases running inside the same DB2 instance on one of our servers.

Looks simple enough. I Enter control center, connect to a db and configure automatic maintenance. Everything looks ok and it says that the db is on partial maintenance. But it doesn't run...

* I'm logged into Windows as db2admin.
    * I doing a full backup-only offline job. (db is on circular logging)
    * I can schedule a backup (after generating the tools catalog) but I want a maintenance job.

What could be wrong? Please help...

Provided Answers: 11
    automatic maintenance is not a job - it is a process that checks if auto maint is needed
    check db cfg and see if automaint-auto table maint-auto... is active
    this will be done in maint-window..
    see for details
    Automatic maintenance
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

I'd create my own scripts instead of debugging why auto maintenance doesn't run.

Splendid!
    Thanks a lot...

Just one little snag remains.
    It spits out database backup files that are not compressed. How can I get it to output the backups compressed? I didn't see this option in the maintenance setup wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    I'd create my own scripts instead of debugging why auto maintenance doesn't run.
    A little nudge in the right direction please...

the question would be : who wants backup to be executed by a tool you don't control

the best would be to create a script with all options you need/want and schedule this script
    whenever wanted...
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

have a look at
    Sample automated maintenance policy specification XML for AUTOMAINT_SET_POLICY or AUTOMAINT_SET_POLICYFILE
    and
    DB2AutoBackupPolicySample.xml

demonstrates specifying how the database manager should perform automatic backup.

It turns out now that some DB's don't get backed up after all.
    They go from a green diamond symbol (normal) in health center to a hollow diamond symbol (not monitored).

Here is my workflow:
    * In health center I first enable backup/reorg/runstat for each database.
    * I then setup automatic offline maintenance on each DB - shortly thereafter the green diamon appears.

I exit control/health centers and open them back up again and some of the DB's have reverted back to the hollow diamond symbol.

Why doesn't my changes stick?!

Check db2diag.log and <instname>.nfy

You may find information there

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.