Unanswered: Access updating more records than exist

Hi,
    I am running several update queries on my access databse but a message box keeps appearing teling em the access is about to update more records than actually exist! So, I have 62770 records but access keeps telling me it is updating 96309 records. I've checked the output (well some of them) and it appears to have worked correctly but I am still wondering where the extra records have come from!

One of the queries I am using is (and apologies if the syntax is messy, I am very new to using access):
    UPDATE E_1039_M_50 INNER JOIN precip_1039_50_M ON E_1039_M_50.UKCIP=precip_1039_50_M.grid_no SET E_1039_M_50.d1 = E_1039_M_50.day1+((E_1039_M_50.day1*precip_1039_50 _M.jan)/100);

Thanks in advance for any help/advice
    Kate

Provided Answers: 59
    I would expect that
    Code:
    select * from E_1039_M_50 INNER JOIN precip_1039_50_M ON E_1039_M_50.UKCIP=precip_1039_50_M.grid_no
    would return 96309 rows, and is the cause of the 'problem' you report
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the reply, but why would you expect that to return 96309 records, apologies for asking such a basic question but as I said before, my access knowledge is limited.

Thanks,
    Kate

Provided Answers: 59
    I don't expect to return any rows as I don't know your data struture and I don't know your data.

doing a join will bring together 'stuff' from different tables.
    say you have two tables persons and addreses
    if you do a join on those tables (presumable addresses.PersonID = Persons.ID) then you'd get a row for every addresses with the persons data duplicated).
    say we had a home & work address for me
    a home, work and parents address for you
    that would be two rows in the persons table, 5 rows in the address table
    eg
    me homeaddress
    me workaddress
    you homeaddress
    you parentsaddress
    you workaddress

trying to run an update on a joined query will try to update every row ie 5 rows as their are 5 rows which intersect, even though the data we want to update may be say in the persons table as 5 rows meet the criteria.

thats why I suggested you do a select rather than the update statement and see what is returned.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton