Thread: fodc

Unanswered: fodc

db2 9.5.2
    aix 6.1

A naive question I am sure, but here it is:
    Once you believe the cause of a problem has been resolved, does anything need to be done to "clear" the air or allow the database to be used as normal? If there is a bad page or db marked bad fodc, does DB2 tech support need to be involved prior to allowing users back in the database?

-Gary

Generally speaking, No. Once you generate the required data, your users should be allowed to connect.

But each case is different. Work with your support rep to ensure to it is ok to let users in.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

What's reported as a bad page in the db2diag.log is not always a true corrupted page on disk. If it's truly corrupted, then the db will be marked bad / instance shutdown next time this page is referenced. It's best to run db2dart or inspect for the db or at least the tablespace. Also, check the AIX error log (errpt -a) for any errors.

So, if there is truly a bad page and DB2 marks the databse as bad the next time it reads that page and subsequently stops, what is the next step? If users can connect after a restart, is the database still considered "bad"? Does anything manually need to be done to remove a bad page?

I understand that different actions may be needed for different scenarios, but I guess I am trying to get a general sense of what common repsonses or actions are to fodc.

Thanks all.

First, need to determine if it's a data or index page (type:0 is data and type:1 is index - the messages in the db2diag.log will help). If index, it can be fixed by marking it as bad using db2dart /mi and then rebuilding it. If data, there are different options depending on what's corrupted and how many pages are affected. One option is to restore from a good image, another is to empty out the bad pages and export the remaining good pages, another is to use db2dart to dump the non-corrupted pages. Run db2dart or inspect to check the database / tablespace. If it detects data corruption, it's best to open a pmr.