Unanswered: Running an automated procedure to email when event is 14 days away

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but from my research this is the best spot.

I have an EmployeeReviews table...and basically..when the date is 14 days before their review date..I want to have an automated email sent out to the Reviewer. I've seen a lot of suggestions, but nothing really concrete..mostly people just arguing that their way is best..not actually giving their any help would be appreciated.

We run on a windows server. Microsoft SQL Server studio 2005 ... ISS 6.0 ...anything else just ask me...I'm looking for the best and preferred easiest way to get this done. thanks!

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    You're looking for answers, but all I've got are questions. This doesn't bode well, but lets give it a shot and see where we can get!

The "best" answer for you is something that only you can decide. Everyone has their own ideas about what makes sense, and there is a lot of additional "baggage" that comes with and problem like this that will significantly color the answer(s) you get.

I'm a hardcore believer in two basic principles that are somewhat in conflict here. First and foremost, manage the data as closely to where it is stored as possible which means that you automate everything as "low" as possible in the software stack (usually at the SQL Server itself). Second and only slightly less important is that n-tier applications (with a database server, an application server, and a presentation/web server) need to be completely n-tier, so figure out which server ought to do a job and don't compromise without a compelling reason.

Keeping those two thoughts in mind, describe your environment again. Is it two tier, n-tier, a hybrid of the two, or something different? All of these are valid choices and each of them leads to a different answer to your original question.

Putting this same line of thinking another way, where do you currently schedule application tasks? For things that happen daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc as part of the BUSINESS side of your application, where do those events happen now? In the future, where do you envision these events happening?

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.