Unanswered: exec a procedure and pass in a parameter

I am trying to create a procedure that will read in a param and then use that within a cursor - see code below

i am trying to read data from another database via a db_link, the db_link name is the parameter being passed in using the command

BEGIN get_disk_times('TargetDB'); END;

the error being thrown is regarding the PL/SQL: ORA-01729: database link name expected relating to the line 'CURSOR'

Create or replace PROCEDURE get_schema_sizes_SIE(thisDB IN VARCHAR) IS

CURSOR cSchemas IS SELECT TRUNC(SYSDATE)-1 timestamp1, '||thisDB||' DB, owner schema, SUM(bytes)/1024/1024 Mbytes FROM dba_segments@'||thisDB||'
    GROUP BY OWNER
    ORDER BY OWNER ASC;

BEGIN

FOR ThisRec IN cSchemas LOOP
    BEGIN
    INSERT INTO schema_sizes VALUES(ThisRec.timestamp1, ThisRec.DB, ThisRec.schema, ThisRec.Mbytes);
    EXCEPTION
    WHEN OTHERS THEN NULL;
    END;
    END LOOP;
    commit;
    execute immediate 'ALTER SESSION CLOSE DATABASE LINK ' || thisDB;

END get_schema_sizes_SIE;

any help would be greatly appreciated

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    SQL statements must be static within PL/SQL procedures
    or EXECUTE IMMEDIATE must be used.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Maybe, instead of guessing syntax of cursor for dynamic SQL, you should consult it in the documentation. Cursors (as part of PL/SQL language) are described in PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference book, which is available with other Oracle documentation books e.g. online on http://tahiti.oracle.com/
    For 11gR2, the relevant chapter is placed here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...mic.htm#i13057

But, maybe a single dynamic (EXECUTE IMMEDIATE) INSERT SELECT statement may be better choice over this cursor approach.

Finally, just a note about WHEN OTHERS THEN NULL exception hiding section: it just states, that you do not bother whether the INSERT fails, its failure will be silently ignored. So, in my opinion, the whole procedure is just a waste of time, as inserting nothing is also correct (non-failing) behaviour. If you do not feel so, remove that whole EXCEPTION clause forever.