Unanswered: How can I secure my database ?

Hi, I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I am running MS Access 2003 with file structure default of 2000. I have split my db into a Back End and a Front End. I have the db on a network with 2 x computers, each h ave their own tailored Front End. It works fine, but as I introduce more users, I am not wanting them to be able to see things like the payroll and HR/personal info.

I’d like the BE to be locked in some sort of a way so that only I can access it from my admin or other high level personal login.

I’d like the FE to be partially locked (restricted) so that one group of people can perform more tasks than another group of people.

On one of the FE files, I’ve gone through the “TOOLS / SECURITY / User-Level Security Wizard” and selected 2 x groups – FULL PERMISSIONS and READ ONLY USERS.

This has given me a login where I need to input NAME and PASSWORD, which does work. However, once logged in, even as a USER who can "read only" on queries, they actually still have the ability to view, create, delete tables.

Basically anyone with any level of login can open and manipulate the database regardless of the user the security level.

Should I have done this to the BE file ?

To be honest with you, this is all new to me, therefore any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

(How can I remove the login for Access so that I can try again with different method ?)

Thanks,

Graeme

Provided Answers: 14
    1. If you convert the front-end to a .mde file. No one will be able to open the standard built-in Access interface (database window, menus, tool and buttons bars) if you disable several features accessible through the "Startup" option of the "Tools" menu. This should solve the major issues. Do not forget to keep a safe copy of the original .mdb database, as the operation is irreversible. You'll also need to provide your own command interface switchboard or other form, specific menus, etc.). See for instance: Converting a Microsoft Access Database to an MDE File | Database Solutions for Microsoft Access | databasedev.co.uk, Converting Your .mdb Files to .mde Files | Database Solutions for Microsoft Access | databasedev.co.uk, Convert MDB to MDE File Format.

2. If you want an even more secure application, you can dynamically attach the tables from the front-end. This way you only attach the tables that are needed for a specific user, according to its access rights and the envoronment he/she needs.
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll give your suggestions a try. I have the database backed up in two places, one weekly and the one daily. I am also doing all my experiments on a copy of the database on a different computer, so if I loose everything, it doesnt really matter.

I am currently using a copy of the db on a differrent PC. At the moment the database if only used by the owners of the business, but I'm looking in advance to when they have an employee using database.

Thanks,

Graeme

Provided Answers: 14
    You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!