Unanswered: License question

i've got an outdatet SBS 2000 with SQL Server here. I have to replace the server by now!

I know that i can't update the SBS License and i intend to buy a full SQL Server. I learned that there are 5Pack Licenses for Clients and that there are Device-Licenses.

Acess to the SQL Serve is only coming from 3 Tomcat Webservers and 3 LAMP-Stacks ( where M belongs to MS SQL in that case). All those Webservers running on three LINUX Machines.

So, what kind of License do i have to buy? For each LINUX a Device-License? Or a License for i.E. 20 Clients to have a max. of 20 parallel accesses? Or would it be sufficient to buy a single CPU License? What about CPUs with MultiCores? Are the Cores ( 2 or 4) part of a CPU-License or is it a per Core License?

I found a lot about those Licenses for SQL Server 2008 but no word how such a license is defined. Any hint/help is appreciated !

I intend to buy SQL Server 2008 WebEdition plus the Licenses.
    an Apple a day keeps Dr. Watson away !

Provided Answers: 54
    In order to run SQL Server with a web or an app server like you are planning to do requires the SQL Server CPU license. You can't buy CALs for this scenario.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    In order to run SQL Server with a web or an app server like you are planning to do requires the SQL Server CPU license. You can't buy CALs for this scenario.

-PatP
    Thanks a lot, that helps!

addon: do i have to buy a license for each cpu or can i buy a single cpu license and tell SQL Server to just use one of the cpus? This one worked for SQL 2000, can i do the same with 2008 or would i always have to buy a 2 CPU Licenses?

I haven't done licensing negotiations for quite a while, but the retail channel used to only license by CPU for every CPU in the machine while the OEM and Microsoft Direct (MOLP) licensing used to allow you to license at the chip level.

Contact your vendor to see what licensing options they offer. In general, I'd recommend using all of the CPUs on a given machine, but there are sometimes reasons that make sense to pursue other options.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

thank you again!

just an addon to my own Licence-question:

If you plan to use the SQL Server as DB for an internal WebApp you can't by the Web Edition of SQL Server. The Licence of the WebEdition is just made for websites i.E. for Provider etc. I learned this information from Microsofts own hotline.

But WebEdition will disappear with SQL Servert 2012 anyway.

I decided to buy an SQL Server 2008 Standard with a 1CPU Licence now.

Thanks for adding the information you gathered after posting here! That will probably help the next person that has a similar question!

-PatP

That's what the information is intended to! I do moderation and administration in some german forums and it's always anoying when threads don't answer the base question they where initiated from.