Unanswered: Applying a substitution code

How would I write a query in Access that converted all the words in a table (which contains all the words of a dictionary and is called DICT) into their encoded form using a substitution code like this?

[B U R S T Y D X E Q J P L W I M Z K G C N F H O A V] from [a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z]

Thus abcde should be encoded as BURST and ambidextrous should be encoded as BLUESTOCKING.
    I am a novice and I would be most grateful for a clear explanation.

Provided Answers: 14
    You could use this:
    Code:
    Function Substitute(ByVal Word As String) As String

Const c_SubstString As String = "BURSTYDXEQJPLWIMZKGCNFHOAV"

Dim i As Long

For i = 1 To Len(Word)
            Substitute = Substitute & Mid(c_SubstString, Asc(UCase(Mid(Word, i, 1))) - 64, 1)
        Next i

End Function
    Usage:
    Code:
    ? substitute("abcde")
    yields: "BURST"
    Have a nice day!

Applying a substitution code

That's brilliant; thank you, Sinndho.

Provided Answers: 14
    You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 59
    are you trying to encrypt your data, if so you'd be better off using the pre supplied encryption routines such as the Capicom dll from Microsoft. there are oither encryption schemes such as PGP. however when developing, especially whjen using MS Access you do need to be aware tha Access isn't the most secure platform and isnt' particularly lockout the most determined or knowledgeable attacker.

Access can be relatively easily secured against casual (ab)users threough thngs like alwasy deploying as encrypted files .mde. applying a consistent appraoch to security but also reading, re reading and then reading the Secuirty FAQ for Access.

things have chanegd since more recent versions of Access dropped workgroup files which were a big security breach but Ive not looke at applying security to rcent versions (IIRC 2007 on)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton