Unanswered: Oracle 11g R2 - tuning vs. replication

Hello dear colleagues.
    I am seeking general input for a few questions below:

When should I opt for tuning and when to turn to data replication? HA, DR, load balancing or data protection are not critical factors though having them as a side effect of replication is a plus. Are there any best practices?

The database in question is Oracle 11g R2 on Unix/Linux platform.

Are there benefits from replication from pure business perspective, like giving some departments readily available transactional data without affecting aplication back-end OLTP database?
    Does replication take data availability farther than just database tuning? The argument I hear is database can be tuned to make replication unnecessary. How true is that?

The end goal is to make transactional data available to business for unlimited querying without affecting OLTP back-end db.

Thank you for your input!

Cape Town, South Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    The end goal is to make transactional data available to business for unlimited querying without affecting OLTP back-end db.
    It looks like this is the most important part of your statement. This is the actual requirement in my opinion.

There are a million different ways to skin this one. Reading directly from your OLTP would be the most "available" the data could possibly be. You use the words "transactional data" in your description. If thats the case, reading from your OLTP directly would be the most correct to do.

If a separate DB is in fact required for your needs, it sounds like an OLAP solution is more appropriate to you. In such a configuration, you would denormalise your tables for OLAP and make use of Oracles Materialized Views or other ETL tools.

Replication will at least double your administrative overhead. Depending on how you set it up, you might also have a delay in receiving updates from the OLTP system. In my case, I only use replication where offices are geographically distributed, and being based in South Africa, the telecoms are not as fast or reliable as elsewhere in the world.

If you want the exact OLTP database copied to a separate location specifically for querying, you can also investigate Oracle standby databases. This method will copy the data with extreme efficiency.

Thats all I can think of right now.