Unanswered: Multiple COUNT()s in Query

I thought that this would be rather simplistic and straight forward, however, I am having a hard time getting the desired results.

I have a query as such:

SELECT
    P.Planet_Name,
    COUNT(PM.Planet_Moon_Key) AS Moon_Count
    COUNT(PS.Planet_Star_Key) AS Star_Count
    FROM dbo.Planet AS P
    LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Planet_Moon AS PM
    ON PM.Planet_Key = P.Planet_Key
    LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Planet_Star AS PS
    ON PS.Planet_Key = P.Planet_Key
    WHERE P.Planet_Name LIKE @Planet_Name + '%'

I am trying to get the name of the planet, as well as a count of how many stars and moons that are associated with the planet. Each moon is a record, each star is a record.

My Moon count seems to be correct, though the Star count is the same as my Moon count for some reason.

PS: I tried to make this as realistic as possible, so hopefully the Planet/Moon/Star setup makes it easier

PSS: I'm trying to avoid DISTINCT and subqueries.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwina View Post
    PSS: I'm trying to avoid DISTINCT and subqueries.
    why??

if you really need to avoid subqueries (heavens knows why -- no pun intended!!), then the best you can do is two separate queries, one that counts the moons and one that counts the stars
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Two issues.

Did you realy executed the query?

(1) You didn't use GROUP BY clause.
    So, It might not be able to co-exist "P.Planet_Name" and "COUNT(PM.Planet_Moon_Key)" in a select-list.

(2) If a Planet has both of Moons and Stars,
    Both of COUNT(PM.Planet_Moon_Key) and COUNT(PS.Planet_Star_Key) might be
    COUNT(DISTINCT PM.Planet_Moon_Key) * COUNT(DISTINCT PS.Planet_Star_Key)

Unless it's not possible by any other means, I tend to avoid usage of DISTINCT as there's generally a way to limit the result set to that of what you actually.

In most cases, a subquery can be replaced by a LEFT JOIN, and in fewer cases in which a LEFT JOIN will not solve the issue, you can toss in a CROSS/OUTER APPLY.

It's just a matter of trying to avoid, but again, if there's no other solution then it's what has to be done, and why I'm asking as nothing that I see as "optimal" or the best way to do it, immediately comes to mind.

@Tonkuma, no I did not run the query, I was just trying to make up a descriptive example without generic tableA.id = tableB examples.

if a single planet has 4 moons and 5 stars, then when you join the planet to its moons and also to its stars, the double join produces 20 intermediate rows

that's why your counts are the same -- or would be, if you had included a GROUP BY clause

and when you use a GROUP BY clause, DISTINCT is (usually) not necessary
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL