Cool Whats the Job Outlook like now? In 10 years?

So I graduated about a Year ago with My B.S. in CS, right now I have a Firmware Job but Databases have always interested me in my college courses.

However i've been told alot of things: namely IE in like 10 years SQL will be replaced.

I know about the NoSQL movement, but it seems like another tool in our toolbox.

So how exactly is the market like for DBA/DB Devs? Good......Bad? I know the future is hard to predict but I can't even imagine what would unseat SQL as the Database king?

Sorry for the random question. didn't know where else to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercfh View Post
    So how exactly is the market like for DBA/DB Devs? Good......Bad? I know the future is hard to predict but I can't even imagine what would unseat SQL as the Database king?
    SQL is not going anywhere.

NoSQL is great for document-type or object-type access. It is awful for "give me sales by manager by region by date" and other computational-relational type things.

I think the future for SQL is very bright. True, a lot of low-level DBA janitor type jobs have gone to India, but if you can specialize and know your stuff, there will always be a place.

I'll just dust down my time machine and leap forward ten years...

(*^(*&^* some (&*^(&* has knicked it.

Agree I dont' think SQL will die in the near future,even if it ceases to be 'the' weapon of choice for retrieving and manipulating data there will still be a heck of a lot of legacy system out there.. I think their could well be move to object orientated type databases to match the OO developments in languages. but I suspect that battle will continue for a long long time yet.

EAV type and NoSQL will have a role especially in unstructured data. if may be that that is the future of data storage but there si going to have to be a massive improvement in the design and implementation and hardware before such storage methodologies reaplce SQL

but what do I know, Im a jaded developer
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

the impact of mobile commerce will be significant for DBAs
    User Devices and Database Servers - DBA DB2