Unanswered: Need a quick answer on decimal rounding!!

this give me 6 digits to the right of the decimal point - can you help me round it to 2???

CONVERT (decimal(18 , 2), 1.0 * NULLIF (vVotesR, 0) / NULLIF (vVotesR + vVotesD, 0) * 100)

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot depends on the context in which you are using this code snippet. By itself, it returns a DECIMAL(18, 2) which only has two decimal places. Depending on the code around it, this might seem to return more decimal places.

Using NULLIF() this way has always caused me grief. I don't think that is what you want.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

CONVERT (decimal(18 , 2), 1.0 * NULLIF (vVotesR, 0) / NULLIF (vVotesR + vVotesD, 0) * 100)
    1) Why did you multipled by 100 after division?
    2) Is NULLIF required in "NULLIF (vVotesR, 0)"?

The following expression looks simple and understandable for me.
    CONVERT (decimal(18 , 2), 100. * vVotesR / NULLIF (vVotesR + vVotesD, 0) )

Provided Answers: 10
    Pat rightly points out that if you are converting to decimal(18, 2) then you can only have 2 decimal places. The "2" in the datatype here denote3s the precision (i.e. the number of decimal places).

As for NullIf() << avoid it.

Use Coalesce() instead.

Lastly, there's also a Round() function in SQL Server, but as mentioned your convert to decimal negates the need for this.
    George
    Home | Blog