Database design for a student registration system!

Hi I am a senior in business computing and I have a project to hand to my university in order to graduate and I have chosen a student registration system but in order to accomplish that I obviously need a well designed and organized database. here are the tables I have done so far:
    a COURSE table that contain:
    -courseid int autoincrement
    -coursename varchar(50)
    -describtion varchar (255)
    -active varchar (50)
    -credits int
    -teacherId int
    -Room varchar (50)
    -day1 varchar(50)
    -time1 varchar(50)
    -day2 varchar(50)
    -time2 varchar (50)

a PERSONS table:

id , firstname , lastname, username ,password,email,gender,address,phone,mobile,roleid

a Roles table :
    roleid,rolename,describtion

the objective is to let students regester online with the following conditions
    - a student is not allowed to register more than 35 credits
    - a class can only hold 70 students (for example)
    - only the administrator can accept the student's registration or decline it
    - the administrator can add courses

also I would like to ask about the persons table I have made should I make a seperate teacher table or will the persons table be okay

thank you for your answers in advance I know it's a long question but please help me!!!

Few problems
    [QUOTE]
    active varchar (50)
    -Room varchar (50)
    -day1 varchar(50)
    -time1 varchar(50)
    -day2 varchar(50)
    -time2 varchar (50)
    [/CODE]

The column "active": what values can it contain? Pretty sure it'll just be TRUE or FALSE i.e. a boolean value. Therefore you have chosen the wrong data type.

The remaining columns I have listed shouldn't be in this table. The room can stay if one course can only ever be in one room, but if any course could possibly be in more than one room then it needs to move.

Effectively we need a new table because it appears that ONE course can be on MANY days i.e. a one-to-many relationship.

the objective is to let students regester online with the following conditions
    - a student is not allowed to register more than 35 credits
    - a class can only hold 70 students (for example)
    - only the administrator can accept the student's registration or decline it
    - the administrator can add courses
    All this should be handled in your front-end application
    George
    Home | Blog