Unanswered: Is this design correct?

Hi,
    Attempting to create a database that stores info on families we serve at a non-profit. Can anyone tell me if the design I have so far is going to work? I'm trying to collect info of each child, guardian and general info about the family like primary language and gross income.

Family Table
    (pk)familyID, language, grossincome

Child Table
    (pk)childID, fname, lname

Guardian Table
    (pk)guardianID, fname, lname

ChildGuardianFamilyLINK Table
    (fk)childID, (fk)guardianID, (fk)familyID, relationship

Thanks

Hi again,

Am I not asking my question right or am I so far wrong that no one wants to even answer?

Is this design correct

tonye72,

It is a little difficult to give advice on the design of a database without a full understanding of what your end result needs to be.

However, you are right that the underlying data within the tables is absolutely crucial to acheive your goal.

That said, from the data you list within your proposed tables shows me that all this data could be stored in one table!

Thanks for replying. We have a paper form that we fill out about a family enrolling their child or children. On the form it has locations to enter multiple children, multiple guardians, primary address, mailing address, primary phone, message phone, primary language, number of family members and combined family gross income. I want to get them away from using the paper form. We would probably run anonymous demographic reports and want to be able to look up child and related guardian info quickly.

From this would I just use one table still?

Thanks

Tonye72,

There are many ways to achieve the same results and you could have all of this data in one table. With the power of access, you can have hundreds of children and it would still work OK.

However, my opinion, as a fairly novice database designer would be:

One table for children. On this table I would store all the information on that child.

Another table for Guardian. This table would store the name, address, phone numbers etc of the guardian.

The Children table would have a one to many relationship with the Guardian table.

Then build a form based on each table.

Then drag the Guardian form onto the Children form and link them. Then for each record of a child you can flick through the guardians.

You can easily use the search functions to find a particular child and even if you have two children with the same name, you will easily be able to find the one you want by checking you have the correct address.

I am sure other people on this site will correct my view if there is a better way.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm going to give it a try.