Need help with database design

Hello all,

I am kinda new to mysql and databases in general. I have read a lot, but I am having a bit of trouble deciding how to break up ( I guess normalize) a new project. The project is a small used car dealership. The fields that I need are as follows:

Title, Engine, Color, Body_style, Transmission, Drive_train, Stock_number(primary key), Price, category (car, truck, etc...), features, fuel_type, VIN, thumb_photo_1, thumb_photo_2 , thumb_photo_3, thumb_photo_4, thumb_photo_5, photo_1, photo_2, photo_3, photo_4, photo_5.

These fields will be present on two pages which can be seen at the following two links:

Cape Coral Auto Sales

Cape Coral Auto Sales

The page layout will change a bit, but for the most part this is it.
    I am looking for some advise as far as breaking these fields into table> I have some ideas, but I'm not experienced at database design. Most of the examples are of customer and ordering systems. My initial thoughts are : CATEGORY, DETAILS, PHOTOS, but in reading normalization, this doesn't completely make sense.

Please Help?
    Thanks,
    Andy.

when is this assignment due?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

No actual due date, but want to get done asap.

Quote Originally Posted by dyna1118 View Post
    No actual due date, but want to get done asap.
    that doesn't make sense

if you want to learn it for yourself, you need time to actually learn it

if it needs to be done asap, that signals that you don't want to learn

i only help those who actually want to learn

don't worry, someone else will be along soon

maybe

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

If you read more carefully thru my original thread, I have already given my opinion on how I would and will do it. I am simply looking for options from more experienced DB designers. I have only 22 fields of data to work with and lots of way to cut it. I just want to know how various other people would approach it, and that my friend is learning.

Looking for opinions on a table layout

Hello all,

I am kinda new to database design. I have read a lot, but I am having a bit of trouble deciding how to break up ( I guess normalize) a new project. The project is a small used car dealership. The fields that I need are as follows:

Title, Engine, Color, Body_style, Transmission, Drive_train, Stock_number(primary key), Price, category (car, truck, etc...), features, fuel_type, VIN, thumb_photo_1, thumb_photo_2 , thumb_photo_3, thumb_photo_4, thumb_photo_5, photo_1, photo_2, photo_3, photo_4, photo_5.

These fields will be present on two pages which can be seen at the following two links:

Cape Coral Auto Sales

Cape Coral Auto Sales

The page layout will change a bit, but for the most part this is it.
    I am looking for some advise as far as breaking these fields into table> I have some ideas, but I'm not experienced at database design. Most of the examples are of customer and ordering systems. My initial thoughts are : CATEGORY, DETAILS, PHOTOS, but in reading normalization, this doesn't completely make sense.

Opinions?
    Thanks,
    Andy.

Please do not post the same question multiple times. Threads merged
    George
    Home | Blog

Your proposed split could work, though Details is as meaningless a name as I've ever seen for a table and Categories isn't much better. First, decide what you want to model - vehicles, vehicle ads, or adverts in general? You may need a number of different tables as domains for your fields, like the different body styles, transmission types, fuel types, etc.