Unanswered: Truncation of Active Log after Online backup completed (DB2 V9 LUW)

Looking at the DB2 Recovery and High Availability guide for 9.7, it states that after an Online Backup is completed, the current active log is truncated and archived.

What will happen in the following scenario?

1) Active Log #147 (Note: Active log is not full):
    -Trans 101 committed
    -Trans 102 in flight
    -Trans 103 committed

When the above active log is truncated after the online backup has completed, will the truncated archive log #147 that will be part of the online backup contain the committed Trans 101 only or will it also contain Trans 103 as well?

Also, what happens to Trans 102? Will the Active Log #147 still remain as the active log that will contain all of the above transactions?

Thanks,

As

Provided Answers: 1
    "Truncated" in this case means no new log records will be written to that log file. So, at the end of the backup log file 147 will be archived with whatever is in it at that moment, i.e. records from transactions 101, 102, 103 (there will be no commit record for transaction 102, obviously). New log records will go to file 148 after that. Log file 147 remains "active" as it is still required for crash recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    "Truncated" in this case means no new log records will be written to that log file. So, at the end of the backup log file 147 will be archived with whatever is in it at that moment, i.e. records from transactions 101, 102, 103 (there will be no commit record for transaction 102, obviously). New log records will go to file 148 after that. Log file 147 remains "active" as it is still required for crash recovery.
    Thank you for responding to this post and my other posts as well.

If I understand you correctly, the 147 will remain "active", however after log 147 has been truncated and archived, trans 102 will NOT continue to log changes in the active log 147 even if it has space. Instead, trans 102 will continue logging in the new log 148.

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 1
    That's what I said.

Yes .. Perfect.

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.