Unanswered: Linked Server IN sql

Hi guys,

I hope you all are doing good. Today, I got a query from my TL and that query was using linked server.

Could you describe/ explain me about likned server in breif? Links are fine but explaination with examples would be better. Could you show me how to use queries in linked server?

Thanks a lot. Have a nice time ahead. tc and gbu

Provided Answers: 54
    Let's meet in the middle. Why don't you first read up on Linking Servers and then come back with specific questions. The problem is that your question is so open-ended that we could write for hours or days and not help you one iota. If you read even a bit to get the general idea, you can ask specific question that we can answer much better than an open-ended one like this.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Explain if you know else leave it, that;s all i would say Everything you learn by reading. I thought you guys can explain me properly in a short period of time that's why i asked.

Thanks for the reply

Provided Answers: 54
    One of my college professors used to throw a "bonus question" at the end of every test. They were peripherally related to the topic of the test, and offered an opportunity for the student to expound on a subject after answering the detailed questions, and possibly to get significant extra points.

Your request reminds me of the bonus question on the final exam: Define the universe, give three examples.

I'm sorry, I can't help you with this question. Maybe someone else can. I would be happy to help if you can pose specific questions, I just am not willing to write what could be a book sized exposition without having at least some chance of helping you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Sunny,

I am not sure how it would help you but would give an example on link server. If you or your client has different servers and each server has got some specific implementation on SQL Server, rather you going independently on each and every server and querying the DB; you can link the SQL servers and then query on only one instance.

For e.g.

Say if you have an employee table in one Server and Dept table in another server, how do you query dept table when you are on Employee server?

In order to achieve this, make sure both the servers are on the same security group and link the servers using link servers. Go to security and connect using be made using the security context.

This was you can apply join or use views or query the tables on different servers using single instance of SQL Server.

Try this from your sql server onto linking with your colleagues SQL Server.

Thanks,
    Sri.

Thanks a lot, Sri.

I feel glad to go through your post. It explains the concept and that is what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the help