Unanswered: Null value in Sql INSERT statement

I have the following insert statement that takes values that are on a form and inserts them into another table. However, it only works if there is something in the text box. If I have an empty text box it won't work. How do I account for the NULL value?

strSql1 = "INSERT INTO tblArchivedDates(clientID, DateReferal, ActiveStart, DischargeDate, DischargeCode, Username) VALUES (" & Me!ClientID & ", " & Format$(Me![Date Referal], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & ", " & Format$(Me![Active Start Date], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & "," & Format$(Me![Discharge Date], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & "," & Me![Discharge Code] & ", '" & UserName & "');"

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 14
    Use the Nz function:
    Code:
    Format$(Nz(Me![Date Referal], ""), "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")
    Have a nice day!

Thanks!

But I'm still getting an error message that something is wrong with the syntax.
    Is it possible since my table (that the insert is going to) has the field set as date that it won't insert a null value into a date field?
    If so, how do I get around that?

1. What exactly is the message?
    2. If you open the table in design view, you can select the field and specify whether it accepts Null values or not (see attachment)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NullAllowed.jpg  
    Have a nice day!

Message is:
    Run-time error '3134'
    Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

My table is set to accept null values but I'm still getting the error message.
    Here's my insert statement:

"INSERT INTO tblArchivedDates(clientID, DateReferal, ActiveStart, DischargeDate, DischargeCode, Username) VALUES (" & Me!ClientID & ", " & Format$(Nz(Me![Date Referal], ""), "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & ", " & Format$(Nz(Me![Active Start Date], ""), "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & "," & Format$(Nz(Me![Discharge Date], ""), "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") & "," & (Nz(Me![Discharge Code], "")) & ", '" & UserName & "');"

The statement does work when there are values in the fields and I only get the error when there is a null value in one (or more) or the fields.
    Any ideas?

I answered too quickly, sorry. Try:
    Code:
    IIf(IsNull(Me![Date Referal]), "Null", Format$(Me![Date Referal], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#"))
    Have a nice day!

Much better. Thank you!

One last glitch. On the last value I'm getting "argument not optional"

" & IIf(IsNull(Me![Discharge Code]), "Null") & "

This value is just a number, not a date like the others. Not sure what I'm missing.

Whoops! Silly error on my part. I saw what I was missing. Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!