Unanswered: multiple databases under different instances

Hi all,
    I have a question on the possibility to create multiple DBs with the same name under multiple different instances.

I think Oracle allows it, but I cannot do it with DB2.

It seems that the DB name (in the create database command) must be unique regardless of the instance where it's created and the client from which it's created.
    Is it really so?
    Isn't there a way to workaround it?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    I think you can in fact create databases with the same name in different instances, provided that they are created on different paths. Keep in mind that, since, unlike Oracle, DB2 allows you to activate multiple databases in multiple instances simultaneously, this may lead to conflicts later.

The bigger question is, why would you want to do that? Aliases must be unique in the client database catalog, so you won't be able to define two databases with the same alias on the client, although they may have the same name on the server.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef73 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a question on the possibility to create multiple DBs with the same name under multiple different instances.

I think Oracle allows it, but I cannot do it with DB2.

It seems that the DB name (in the create database command) must be unique regardless of the instance where it's created and the client from which it's created.
    Is it really so?
    Isn't there a way to workaround it?

Thanks
    You can definitely create the same database in multiple instances on the same server, although it may be a bit more difficult under Windows. If you logon to the server using the instance owner id, the database directory is unique to that instance. Exactly what problem are you having?
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Ok I think I solved the issue.

I can create multiple databases with the same name under multiple different instances provided that they have different alias.
    It's not really a matter of specifying a different db path (if I use a different path without alias the db is not created as well).
    Then I can catalog each db on different clients with the same name (the real db name)

The instances owner in my case is the same (db2admin) so I didn't try with different owners.

Thank you all

I think you are mixing the alias of a database used at the client vs. the name of the database at the server. On the server, you can use the same database name in different instances. At the client, each cataloged database must have a unique name in the scope of the client's database directory. Of course, you'll have to use aliases to make the names of the databases from different servers unique if the names wouldn't be unique otherwise. (Nick mentioned that in the first answer.)

Also, the database path has to be unique for each database at a single server. Otherwise, you'd get collisions on the database files (which DB2 prevents). But that is a completely unrelated question.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Yes, maybe I was not clear but I meant more or less the same ...
    Simply I was saying that I can use same db name at server in different instances, the only thing that I have to specify when creating them is a different (unique) db alias, otherwise I get an error.
    And yes, for sure they are (and have to be) created on different paths, but only specifying a different path (without specifying a unique alias) would lead to an error as well.

Let's separate a few things more clearly:
    - a database is "created" on the server in a specific instance
    - when a database is connected to, the database alias in the client's database catalog has to be used
    - each database has to have its own, dedicated storage location

Thus, you do not have to specify different aliases when creating the databases (in different instance). But you need to use unique aliases when you catalog a database in the client's database catalog.
    Knut Stolze

Knut,
    you say

"you do not have to specify different aliases when creating the databases (in different instance)"

but if on my server (I have no concerns with clients) I have 2 instances INST1 and INST2, and have a db named DB2TEST (alias DB2TEST) in INST1, then from CLP I execute:

db2 attach to INST2 user ... using ...
    db2 create db DB2TEST

I get error SQL1005N The alias DB2TEST already exists...

while if I execute:

db2 create db DB2TEST alias MYDB

the database is correctly created, and now I have 2 dbs with same name (DB2TEST) and different aliases in 2 different instances.

So to me this means that I have to specify different aliases when creating databases with same name in different instances.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef73 View Post
    Knut,
    you say

"you do not have to specify different aliases when creating the databases (in different instance)"

but if on my server (I have no concerns with clients) I have 2 instances INST1 and INST2, and have a db named DB2TEST (alias DB2TEST) in INST1, then from CLP I execute:

db2 attach to INST2 user ... using ...
    db2 create db DB2TEST

I get error SQL1005N The alias DB2TEST already exists...

while if I execute:

db2 create db DB2TEST alias MYDB

the database is correctly created, and now I have 2 dbs with same name (DB2TEST) and different aliases in 2 different instances.

So to me this means that I have to specify different aliases when creating databases with same name in different instances.
    To see what databases you already have in each instance (or have remotely catalogued in that instance), issue this command after you attach to each each instance:
    db2 list db directory

If the database is list as "remote", you may also want to issue:
    db2 list node directory

Remember that a database server also can have a client definition to another database that is located in a different instance.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Markus said it all. Don't mix up client and server database directories/catalogs.
    Knut Stolze