Unanswered: Using ComboBox to automatically fill in textbox and combobox on form - Access 2003

Happy Monday!
    Here's my situation:

When the user selects a state from combobox cboLookState on the form (frmEntry), this would fill in an unbound combobox (cboStateConsentNeeded) with the state form needed for that state and an unbound textbox (txtStateRegs) with the state regulations for that state. The first part works as planned: When selecting CA from the state list, state form N201CA loads in the cboStateConsentNeeded. The second part does not work. No errors, no information fills, just doesn't "do" anything. I have tried it as a combobox as well as a textbox; both as text; both as combo; comment out the first part of the event to have the second part start first - nothing works. I've tried this code in both the AfterUpdate event and the Change event.

Private Sub cboLookState_AfterUpdate()
    Me.cboStateConsentNeeded = Me.cboLookState.Column(2)
    Me.txtStateRegs = Me.cboLookState.Column(4)
    End Sub

Apparently, I'm missing something. Does the length of text make a difference? My txtStateRegs is formatted to 255 words; the cboStateConsentNeeded is formatted to 50. I'm using Access 2003. And I accept any help offered!

Thanks
    BattyOwl

Provided Answers: 14

Happy Monday too!

The code seems to be correct. I'm not sure that's applicable to your case but did you consider that the leftmost (first) column of a combobox (or listbox) is Column(0)?
    Last edited by Sinndho; 02-27-12 at 18:24.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 6
    Also make sure the Column Count property of the combo is appropriate to the number of fields in the row source (in your case, at least 5).
    Paul

Yes, considered Column 0, but it doesn't change the end result. I did change the column count to 5 (was at 4) just to play devil's advocate. No change.

I feel like I'm looking for a golden goose here...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Can you post the db here, or a representative sample?
    Paul

I'm unable to share the database, sorry!

Nor a representative sample? What is the row source of the combo?
    Paul

Could you add the following modifications to your code for testing purposes:
    Code:
    Private Sub cboLookState_AfterUpdate()

'    Me.cboStateConsentNeeded = Me.cboLookState.Column(2)
    '    Me.txtStateRegs = Me.cboLookState.Column(4)

Dim i As Long

For i = 0 to 4
            Debug.Print i, Me.cboLookState.Column(i)
        next i

End Sub
    Then open the form, change the selected value in the combo, switch the form to Design mode, open the VBA Editor (Alt+F11) open the Immediate Window (Ctrl+G) and see what you have there?

If nothing was printed in the Immediate window, check that the code is effectively bound the the AfterUpdate event of the combo: open the Property window (Alt+Enter), select the Event tab, then the After Update line: it should contain [Event Procedure]. If it does not, click on the square button with 3 dots on the right of the line to open the VBA Editor and create the association.
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho, that did it! Somehow my column 4 became column 3 - only saw that in the Immediate window. Switched it to 3 in code and all is well with the world!

Thank you all for your help!

I'm sure I'll be 'seeing' you soon...

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!