Unanswered: Deploying a database question

I am working on a college project with a team of students. We are developing a database driven website for a client. The version of SQL the client is using is Microsoft SQL Server 2008, but we were not informed of which edition.

Judging from this website. There are many different editions of Microsoft SQL Server.

My question is: can we use a different edition of Microsoft SQL Server than the client is using for development, and then deploy our work to the client's SQL Server 2008? Would this cause compatibility issues? For example, could we use Microsoft SQL Server R2 Express Edition to develop with?

I believe I read that the R2 Express Edition is limited to one CPU, a limited number of concurrent users, etc. Would these limitations be bypassed when deploying to a different SQL Server Edition? Well, for that matter, is it even possible to deploy to a different edition than what was developed on?

yes, you can develop on one version and deploy to another

there are precious few differences, and none that will make a difference to a project such as yours
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

That is a relief

Thank you r937.

Hi,

You can deploy from higher version to lower version but cannot deploy from lower version to higher version.

Thanks,
    Sri.

Ok,I'm still confused

srimami, what do you mean by "version"? Are you referring to the release years such as Microsoft SQL server 2005 as opposed to Microsoft SQL server 2008?

As I previously suggested, I would like to be able to develop on a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express Edition, and then deploy to a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (edition currently unknown, let's assume for now it is Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition).

Will this work?
    Last edited by Jason002; 02-28-12 at 11:55. Reason: to add more information

Quote Originally Posted by Jason002 View Post
    Will this work?
    yes it will
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL