Unanswered: How to Create an Excel Formula

I need help creating a formula to say if the amount in column A is "x " then column B must equal "y". Can anyone help me?

Would you be a little more specific? Should the two cells always add up to give the same total or something?

Sorry about not being to clear.

I want column B to always be a certain amount based on column A.

For example if A is always 105.92 then B should always be 66.11 the in the next row if column A is 91.59 then the corresponding row in B should be 22.11

I have probably sixteen different figures for column A and each one means that column B would be sixteen different responses.

Hi. You probably still need to be a little clearer as to what you want.

What is the relationship between A and B?

If A can ONLY be chosen out of a selection of 16 possible options, and each of those options can have only ONE corresponding value in B, then a lookup table would be appropriate. In that instance I would expect that somewhere within your spreadsheet you have a table outlining those 16 options and their corresponding values.

Assuming this is correct, and that your Table is in C1 to D17, and again assuming the value that A2 is the first value you want to check;

B2 will contain the formula =VLOOKUP(A2,$C$1:$D$17,2,FALSE)
    B3 will contain the formula =VLOOKUP(A3,$C$1:$D$17,2,FALSE)
    B4 will contain the formula =VLOOKUP(A4,$C$1:$D$17,2,FALSE)

and so on...

Yes I think that will work just fine. "A" would be called "Total Paid" and "B" would be "Rent Portion Paid of Total Paid" .

The precalculated list I have been given tells me if any of one the sixteen different totals paid is this then I know the Rent portion of that total will be that.

But I think your way will work. I will try it out.

Thank you. This has been the first time I have ever asked for help on a forum and with such great help I am sure I will be back for more.