Smile Unanswered: Oracle EE to SE downgrade?

My company owns an Enterprise Edition Oracle Database 11g Release 1
    (11.1.0.7.0)
    Which options would be supported to downgrade?
    Thanks!

Downgrading... always a pitty. Anyway, you need to check what features you are actively using in EE.
    Code:
    select * from dba_feature_usage_statistics
    Then compare that with the Feature Availability by Edition. You will need to modify code wherever you are using features that are not available on standard edition.

Features that I miss from EE:
    - DIAGNOSTICS pack which provides AWR and other database performance tools.
    - Query rewrite: which optimises OLAP queries to use pre-computed results from materialized views.
    - Table partitioning: there's no table partitioning in standard edition. So your large tables can take really long to query.
    - Flashback query: that can be a serious time saver in the backup/restore department.
    - Oracle spatial: Standard edition does have some spatial components, but it's unclear if you are actually allowed to use it.

Hope this helps.

Orale Matrix

Thanks for the reply. What Im really trying to get is something like a compatibility matrix according to the version mentioned. I dont know if that makes any sense.
    E.g.: Downgrades from Oracle Database 11g Release 2 to the following versions are supported:
    10.2.0.2, 10.2.0.3, 10.2.0.4, 10.2.0.5
    11.1.0.6, 11.1.0.7
    PS: Im aware of the EE benefits and also what I can do with the SE. I just would like to get the compatibility thing.
    Thanks!

Ah, I see... Downgrading version number not edition.
    I don't know of a downgrade matrix, but you could take a look at the What's New documentation for 11g R2. This will provide you with details on new features, and if you are using any of those, then you will not be able to backward port without changing code.

I havn't tried backward porting system. Just the application schema's, one by one via imp/exp. It's not pretty, but it works.

My experience has been that you should have no problem going from 11g back to 10gR1 using this method. We have development on 10gR2 with stage on 10gR1 and production on 11gR2. I can transport code and data pretty much seamlessly between the versions using exp/imp.

There are some versioning issues, but it does work. Hint: Use 10gR1 client with 10gR1 database; 10gR2 client with 10gR2 database and 11g client with 11gR2 database. Using the 10gR2 client to imp/exp against 10gR1 database seems to give problems.

Nn

Thanks for sharing your experience about the downgrading. I'll bear that on mind when observing how the downgrading is been done.
    Quote Originally Posted by dayneo View Post
    Ah, I see... Downgrading version number not edition.
    I don't know of a downgrade matrix, but you could take a look at the What's New documentation for 11g R2. This will provide you with details on new features, and if you are using any of those, then you will not be able to backward port without changing code.

I havn't tried backward porting system. Just the application schema's, one by one via imp/exp. It's not pretty, but it works.

My experience has been that you should have no problem going from 11g back to 10gR1 using this method. We have development on 10gR2 with stage on 10gR1 and production on 11gR2. I can transport code and data pretty much seamlessly between the versions using exp/imp.

There are some versioning issues, but it does work. Hint: Use 10gR1 client with 10gR1 database; 10gR2 client with 10gR2 database and 11g client with 11gR2 database. Using the 10gR2 client to imp/exp against 10gR1 database seems to give problems.