Unanswered: GENERATED ALWAYS FOR EACH ROW ON UPDATE in UTC?

I'm slowly catching up with what's new in 9.7. Is there anyway to specify that a column declared as:

EMP_INFO_CHANGED_TIME TIMESTAMP NOT NULL
    GENERATED ALWAYS FOR EACH ROW ON UPDATE
    AS ROW CHANGE TIMESTAMP IMPLICITLY HIDDEN

should use UTC instead of local time (other than changing server time). If possible, I would like to avoid DST issues.

/Lennart

Have a look at the CURRENT TIMEZONE special register. I don't know for sure, but I would assume that DB2 stores timestamps in UTC internally. When querying, DB2 uses per default the local timezone. If you want to get the data in UTC, the query should be written as such like:
    Code:
    SELECT emp_info_changed_time - CURRENT TIMEZONE
    FROM ...
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by stolze View Post
    I would assume that DB2 stores timestamps in UTC internally.
    I don't think it's the case; it's up to the client application to interpret what's inserted or retrieved.

@lelle12, please note that CURRENT TIMEZONE refers to the operating system setting on the server, not the client (if the latter is in a different timezone).

What I would like to do is store the ts i UTC. First thought was to use another generated column based on

EMP_INFO_CHANGED_TIME - current_timezone

But that is not allowed (SQL0548N). I suspect that is due to the check constraint that is created, since an explicit check constraint gives the same error. Finally it is not allowed to reference a generated column in a before trigger ( SQL20094N ).

Are there any rumours on timestamp with timezone in coming releases?

/Lennart

Quote Originally Posted by n_i View Post
    I don't think it's the case.
    You think so? I can't test this myself. That would mean a reconfiguration of the timezone in the server's operating system would not change the external representation of timestamp values returned by a simple query. If the values do change, then DB2 uses UTC (or what it believes to be UTC) internally. As I said, I don't know what DB2 is doing, but it is easy to test that way.
    Knut Stolze
    IBM DB2 Analytics Accelerator
    IBM Germany Research & Development