Unanswered: Apps hang after disconnect

We ran into an issue after migration from 9.7.3 x86_32 to 9.7.5 x86_64 when users' applications hang after forced disconnect from database.

Sometimes we need to perform particular procedures on a database and be sure that no one is connected. We make an announcement and if someone is still connected after a period of time, we force disconnect using Application List window in the Control Center.

On a 9.7.3 if a user click somewhere in an application after a disconnect, he would get an error. On a 9.7.5 application hangs and user need to manually kill it from the Task Manager. We want to get rid of that and revert back to an "error" variant.

But it's a tricky issue and I don't even know where to start digging.

Any ideas?

Guys, seriously..

I would update the client driver to same fixpack as database server.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Tried that. Updated DB2 client to the same 9.7.5 version. Same problem. The only difference is that server is 64-bit and client is 32-bit.

If you disconnected from db2 successfully , maybe the problem is not on db2 side but on your own application。
    You can take a jdbc or odbc trace to see what happend。

Quote Originally Posted by fengsun2 View Post
    If you disconnected from db2 successfully , maybe the problem is not on db2 side but on your own application。
    I can't call forced disconnection "successful". But still, on 32-bit 9.7.3 we didn't have this issue. Hence it's not an application fault.

It's annoying, because when user just sees an error he could restart an application. Now helpdesk needs to explain everybody to go to Task Manager and kill it.
    Last edited by Harmont; 04-05-12 at 03:44.

Any other ideas?

Open an APAR with IBM support.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Open an APAR with IBM support.
    Our support period, which was 1 year after the purchase, has come to an end.

So, you do not have support for DB2 and you think it is DB2's problem. Not the situation I would like to be in.

In your situation, this is the best you can do. Doing this might tell you the reason for the "hang" and you can address it from the application end [ hope you have support for that ].
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s View Post
    So, you do not have support for DB2 and you think it is DB2's problem. Not the situation I would like to be in.
    Thanks for being supportive.

To the question. Can you suggest any tracing utility? Google might help. But I've never done tracing before. And taking the right path right away would be much better in my situation.

You haven't told how your app connects to db2. Have a look at the following line anyways

CLI/ODBC/JDBC trace facility - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Our apps connect in different ways ODBC/BDE/dbExpress.

Provided Answers: 18
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmont View Post
    Our apps connect in different ways ODBC/BDE/dbExpress.
    On your client workstations which client package are you using: the run time client (or whatever it is called now), or the full client (Data Server client), or the "Data Server Driver Package" or that standalone ODBC driver?

If you are using one of the smaller clients, make a test with the Data-Server client package and compare the results.

If your clients connect with JDBC, use a JDBC-trace on the client.
    If your clients connect with ODBC, use a CLI trace on the client.

What you are looking for (in the trace output from the client) is an indication that the connection has been terminated or is broken in some way (tcpip error).

This might be a 32-bit to 64-bit issue. If you have the full db2-client installed on any workstation then you can just use the db2-command-line window to examine if CLI connections get notified upon the first db2 command that happens at the client following the force action on the server.

I'm assuming you already bound the correct packages post fixpack, to all databases.

In your cli configuration check the
    impact on the symptom of varying the following settings:

ConnectTimeout
    QueryTimeoutInterval
    ReceiveTimeout