Unanswered: Best OS for an Oracle DBA

Hello guys,
    I had few troubles installing oracle because of the OS. I got a computer at work, and also have 2 laptops at home. I would like to use one of them to learn more about oracle ( I mean the one I have at home). I know I need to uninstall the OS and install a new one for this purpose.
    I've been reading few books on Oracle DBA, and I just got to the point where certain commands work only in the UNIX environment (I am referring to the oerr command). I just started reading the book and am not so sure what else would the book ask me to do but I think there may be more knowledgeable DBA's out there.
    Generally, speaking what would be the best Operation System to use in order to run oracle as a Database Administrator?
    Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    Oracle Enterprise Linux
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

what would be the best Operation System to use in order to run oracle as a Database Administrator?
    The one that you're most comfortable with.
    If you want to know which one is the best to use in order to learn, I would go with anacedent - as you have already found out, the documentation is biased towards unix environments.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

Thanks

Thans for both of the reply. I know nothing about Linux but I will try to see how is like working in a Linux environment. Anyway, the OS needs to be re-installed or changed. It will be a thing to just try. Thanks :P

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    > Anyway, the OS needs to be re-installed or changed.
    you can install a Virtual Machine with any OS, on top of Windows
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

If you are just starting out with Oracle DBA, then it's 100 times easier on Windows (at least our experience).
    Once compfortable with Oracle basics, definitely a good idea to learn DBA tasks on Linux since this is most likely going to be the production setup.

I already tried

Few months ago, I installed a virtual machine with Windows XP. It was on top of Windows Vista...I do not recommend doing that. I met all requirements to install the virtual machine but it worked so slow and it kept crashing...not a very good experience. Thanks anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    > Anyway, the OS needs to be re-installed or changed.
    you can install a Virtual Machine with any OS, on top of Windows

Thanks

Yeah...I am still a newbie in Oracle DBA. I just thought it would be a good thing to test on both OS. Windows at work, and LINUX at home.
    I was talking to the senior DBA of my company and he said the IT department is planning to migrate to LINUX in the future. It is just a plan that will be carried out next year possibly.
    Anyway, there is so much to learn about Oracle DBA that dont know if I'll have time for everything. lol
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dayneo View Post
    If you are just starting out with Oracle DBA, then it's 100 times easier on Windows (at least our experience).
    Once compfortable with Oracle basics, definitely a good idea to learn DBA tasks on Linux since this is most likely going to be the production setup.

willingtolearn,

my personal view (others might see this completely different):

1.) In real environments, in 80% of situations you will be confronted with some UNIX/Linux flavour AND Windows Servers (so you should be familiar with both, sooner or later)

2.) The ideal solution awould be a Linux server and a Windows Client (at least as long as TOAD is available only on Windows).
    If you have to decide on one, I would recommend Windows (for one, and only one reason: see above)
    "There is always an easy solution to every problem - neat, plausible, and wrong."
    -- H.L. Mencken