Unanswered: help on replace command

Hi All,

I have a problem with replace command.

I have data in column like 'www.abc.com/inbox/../../' and I need to replace it with 'www.xyzw.com/box/inbox/../../' , have total 1500 rows starting data with 'www.abc.com/inbox'. Now I need to update all the 1500 rows with 'www.xyzw.com/box/inbox' and remaining part of URL should be same with an update statement.

UPDATE tab1
    SET col1 = REPLACE(col1, SUBSTRING(col1, charindex('www.abc.com/inbox',col1),17), 'www.xyzw.com/box/inbox') where col1 like '%abc%';

but I am getting error like data is being truncated. I am using SQL SERVER 2000.

Please help me in this regard.

Provided Answers: 4
    What is the data type of col1?

When you replace "www. shortURL.com/inbox" by "www. extraveryverylongURL.com/box/inbox", the resulting string could exceed the length N of the VARCHAR(N), CHAR(N), ... data type.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Hi Wim,

Thanks for the reply. but col1 has varchar(255) datatype and the URL has 140 characters. but if I update the record individually like put col1=condition its working perfectly fine. When I put like operator in where condition, facing this error.

Please help me.
    Last edited by ashwinjoshi; 03-08-12 at 23:10.

Provided Answers: 4
    What does this return?
    Code:
    select max(LEN(col1)) from MyTable
    140 ?
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

My bad... It was my mistake. as it was exceeding characters. now got resolved.

thanks for your maxlength query.