Unanswered: bulk loading data from another server

Hi all,
    I'm trying to port the function "openrowset" from SQL Server to DB2.

This function can be used as following:

INSERT INTO myTable(FileName, FileType, Document)
    SELECT a.*
    FROM OPENROWSET('SQLNCLI', 'Server=Seattle1;Trusted_Connection=yes;',
    'SELECT FileName, FileType, Document
    FROM AdventureWorks2008R2.HumanResources.Department') AS a;

where Seattle1 is a remote server.

I'm looking for an equivalent in DB2, but I only found IMPORT and LOAD utilities, which just load data from a text file.

Is there something better (above all in terms of performances) I could use in this case?

Thanks a lot

Provided Answers: 5
    You can use Federation to have a remote table look like it is local to the database. Look it up in the manual.

Andy

Thanks Andy for your reply.

Anyway, what I'd like to do is not replicating a whole table, but just bulk load some data from a source server into another.

For example I may select two columns from a source server table and insert those values in a target server table with a different name.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 5
    You basically have two options:

1) export the data from the remote database, transmit it to the local database, and import/load it where you want it
    2) Use federation to make it look like the remote table is local. This does not copy/replicate anything. It just allows you to reference the remote table as if it was local. You can then insert/load from the federated nickname (table).

Andy

I've been looking at another option which is the LOAD with CURSOR file type.

Is there anyone who implemented or know how to use it without federating the servers?

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11

bulk load

export the data in del format and use load from this file
    cursor is only possible while being connected or using nickname
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

there is a way. take some time to watch the db2nightshow #73. Someone is explaining about just THAT issue. there are some "undocumented features" in the cursuor command. Exact what you need.
    You could also go to the slides of the latest IDUG in prague. Go thru the slides of the presentations by Michael Tiefenbacher. You will find the syntax there as well (and learn some more wonderfull things).
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

Provided Answers: 11
    these "undocumented features" are not documented in the online infocenter, but look at the movement guide (pdf version of db2 books) and there they are...
    but in this case the source is sqlserver - the load will not work if federation is not active
    Last edited by przytula_guy; 03-13-12 at 10:22.
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by dr_te_z View Post
    You could also go to the slides of the latest IDUG in prague.
    Are they available free of charge?

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Are they available free of charge?
    Not yet. I guess it will be, later in the year.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

I found an example of CURSOR DATABASE here:
    IBM DB2 9.7 Information Center for Linux, UNIX, and Windows