Unanswered: timezone for db2 server

Does it make matter what timezone is set for the DB2 server. AIX admin wants to set it to GMT instead of EST (local time)?

Provided Answers: 1

I would highly recommend that all DB2 servers have the OS time set to GMT. In addition to other things mentioned, it eliminates any problems that might occur when daylight savings time is changed *which occurs at different dates and times around the world). If applications need a local time, they can add that as a column to their tables where needed.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Anything to watch out for when changing the DB2 server timezone to GMT? This particular server is brand new, but I think they're planning to make the same change to all of the existing DB2 servers. I believe the instance doesn't need to be restarted. What about crontab? Do I need to change the time when db2 utilties such as backups are scheduled to run?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Do I need to change the time when db2 utilties such as backups are scheduled to run?
    You probably do, if maintenance windows are determined by local requirements, like US Eastern end-of-business. Since time on the server is now UTC, 12am-5am means 7pm-12 am EST (if I have the time difference right).

I tell users what the maintenance window is in UTC and let them worry about figuring out how daylight savings time affects them.
    M. A. Feldman

I dont know whether it will cause some unexpected problem when you change your os timezone online。
    but If you change the OS time backward when db2 server is running ,
    DB2 will start a internally virtual timestamp to log transaction time instead of the os time。
    In DPF environment, if you can't change each nodes' os time at the same time, there must be some transactions involve more than two nodes will have different log timestamp ( one is on vts ,another is not) , that will cause a big problem, sql1473 or sql1472 error msg will be returned.
    So it is strongly recommended to change os time offline especially in dbf env....

If you change the OS time backward when db2 server is running
    or forward, depending on the timezone.

it is strongly recommended to change os time offline especially in dbf env....
    Same with cluster environments (like TSA).
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

We don't have DPF, a few systems with HADR (but without any cluster manager, I think).

What do you think about the following?
    IBM How to use different timezones for the instance and OS level - United States

fengsun, are you from DB2 Support?

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    We don't have DPF, a few systems with HADR (but without any cluster manager, I think).

What do you think about the following?
    IBM How to use different timezones for the instance and OS level - United States

fengsun, are you from DB2 Support?
    Every place I have ever worked, the do this at the client level, not at the server. Java can determine the local timezone of the client and make whatever adjustments from UTC they need to make.
    M. A. Feldman

What about applications running locally on the server (no java)? I think they have at least one - IRS (tax appl). Not sure if they need a local time or not.