Unanswered: Help with exporting multiple reports with a date

Hey guys, I have a database with multiple reports I must generate. I figured out how to add a date to the end of each report with the following sample code:

Public Function ExportFileNameFunction()
    Dim Current_Date As String
    Dim File_Name As String
    Current_Date = Format$(Now(), "mm\-dd\-yyyy")
    File_Name = "c:/Test/Reports/Capital-" + Current_Date + ".xls"
    File_Name2 = "c:/Test/Reports/Capital2-" + Current_Date + ".xls"
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Capital Report", [File_Name]
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Capital2 Report", [File_Name2]
    End Function

This works well and I have a macro that will output all reports. What I would like to do is use an IF statement to evaluate each report to see if it has data in it (New data is posted into a table each day that these reports draw from). If the report has data I would like it to be exported, if not obviously I would like it to not export anything. Can anyone give me a hand on how to accomplish this? It would also be great if I didn't have to create a File_Name2, File_Name3, etc.. and instead could have the vba just look at all my reports at once, evaluate if they have data or not, and then export them. Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 2
    Have a look at the report OnNoData event in the Help file. This might be what you need.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Quote Originally Posted by weejas View Post
    Have a look at the report OnNoData event in the Help file. This might be what you need.
    Hi, thanks for the response! Unfortunately I misspoke, these are not actually reports but queries that are getting exported. It looks like the onnodata property only works with reports. Any other suggestions?

Two options present themselves.

You can open a recordset based on each query in turn, and only export those with a record count greater than 0. Or you can execute the DCount function against each query and again, only export those that return more than 0.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Do you think you could give me some sample code as to how the recordset object would work? I have not used that before. Thanks again for the help!

This is a useful link for all things recordset. You will also needs to set a reference to the latest version of MS ActiveX Data Objects.

Given that you've only got two queries, you probably don't need an ornate loop structure for this.

Code:
    Dim rstTest as ADODB.Recordset

Set rstTest = New ADODB.Recordset

rstTest.Open "Capital Report", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

If rstTest.Recordcount > 0 Then
    DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Capital Report", [File_Name]
    End If

rstTest.Close

rstTest.Open "Capital2 Report", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Capital2 Report", [File_Name]
    End If

rstTest.Close

Set rstTest = Nothing
    That should get you started.

Quote Originally Posted by weejas View Post
    This is a useful link for all things recordset. You will also needs to set a reference to the latest version of MS ActiveX Data Objects.

Given that you've only got two queries, you probably don't need an ornate loop structure for this.

Code:
    Dim rstTest as ADODB.Recordset

Set rstTest = New ADODB.Recordset

rstTest.Open "Capital Report", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

End If

rstTest.Close

rstTest.Open "Capital2 Report", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acExport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Capital2 Report", [File_Name]
    End If

rstTest.Close

Set rstTest = Nothing
    That should get you started.
    Sorry it took so long to respond, I did get this working, thanks! My final question is, is there a way I could create vba code that would export all of the queries that I have without me having to specify each one. I'm not sure if that would be possible but thought I would ask, thanks again guys!

Hmm.

I normally cheat for this sort of thing, and create a table to hold the names of the queries that I want to export, and then loop through the contents of the table.

If your export queries all have a similar name, you can always try something with the database's QueryDefs - check the help file or Google for more info.