Thread: Database Design

Database Design

Hi so i need help with my database design. I want my website to be as efficient as possible and fast. Now here is two of the designs i came up with and please tell me which one is better or recommend your own if mine are terrible :P. Thank you.

Design #1
    bookInfo
    bookID(PK)
    userID(FK -> users)
    cityID(FK -> cities)
    + additional book info

users
    userID(PK)
    provinceID(FK - province)
    cityID(FK - cities)

cities
    cityID(PK)
    name

province
    provinceID(PK)
    name

And for this design I will have a separate database for each country. So for this one it will be fore Canada then I will have the same tables for anther database with USA etc. This is really easy for me to manage as I can look at separate countries etc.

Here is the second design with everything under one database.

Design #2
    bookInfoCanada
    bookID(PK)
    userID(FK -> users)
    cityID(FK -> cities)
    + additional book info

usersCanada
    userID(PK)
    cityID(FK - cities)

citiesCanada
    cityID(PK)
    name

regionCanada
    regionCanadaID(PK)
    name

bookInfoUSA
    bookID(PK)
    userID(FK -> users)
    cityID(FK -> cities)
    + additional book info

usersUSA
    userID(PK)
    cityID(FK - cities)

citiesUSA
    cityID(PK)
    name

regionUSA
    regionUSAID(PK)
    name

What I want here is a good design that will be fast and efficient. Thank you!

Fast and efficient depends on how you're going to use it. In general, normalization benefits updates, denormalization benefits queries. It also depends very much on your dbms and indexes. The best way to see which design is most efficient for your needs is to build them, populate them with realistic data, and profile them under realistic use conditions.

As for the design, if my assumptions are correct, in your bookInfo tables userID implies cityID, and in your users tables cityID implies provinceID, i.e. you have functional dependencies on non-key attributes. You might want to normalize that.

Also, I don't recommend your second design, it looks like high maintenance, e.g. if your schema changes you would have to repeat the same sequence of manipulations on each set of tables. You can query the first design by country if your provinces/regions are related to countries.