Unhappy Unanswered: form will not update after data entry

Hello all,
    I am a new user, an Access beginner.
    I have a DB with customers, jobs and payments. I enter payments by clicking on a payment button on the "frm_Jobs" form, it takes me to my "frm_Payments" form then I can view and enter payments. It is nor set to show payments only from the current job/workorder by filtering the Job_ID. by the way, I'm using Access 2010. I have 2 problems:
    1. When I try to enter a new payment line, the "Job_ID" is not entered automatically and I have to enter it manually, is there a way to have that entered automatically and have that record locked for changing?
    2. After I do enter a payment and return the my "frm_Jobs" the total payments fields "TotalPayments" is not updated to reflect the new payment until I exit and return to the form again.
    Many Thanks for your help.
    Hassan

Hassan,

What is the datatype for the field Job_ID? If you set this to autonumber it will automatically assign an incremental numerical value to each new record.

Is there a button on your 'frm_Payments' that takes you from your 'frm_Payments' back to your 'frm_Jobs' if this is the case you need to run some code from this button:

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Jobs" 'unless this form is already open?
    Forms!frm_Jobs!TotalPayments.requery 'will requery your field
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frm_Payments 'closes your payments form"
    Hope this helps,

Dave.

Access 2000 User

Provided Answers: 19
    This ia a One-to-Many relationship and normally would be handled with a Main Form (frm_Jobs)/Subform (frm_Payments) scenario, with the Job_ID being the linking Field. Then everything would be done automatically.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007