Unanswered: How many instances per DBA ??

Hello experts,

Can some one ease me up on an estimate required for DBA resource requirements in an corporate setup where informix servers are in huge number ?

Let's say for about 1500 servers (instances), how many DBA's should be Administrating comfortably ?

Our management is working on resource requirement estimation.

Regards
    DBFinder

Provided Answers: 1
    Depends, what do you want your DBA's to do?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Depends, what do you want your DBA's to do?
    Exactly, you are 100% right.

Let us assume there are 5 tickets per server per month to deal with and the DBA will be required to do all daily checks, how many one DBA can handle.

And then, how many DBAs will be able to handle 1500 instances.

??

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi DBFinder,

I am at the moment running a poll on LinkedIn exactly dealing with your question.

In fact, the question is vast, mainly depending on the complexity of the instances.

I have recensed several customers with more that 180 instances for 0 DBA ( in fact one didn't even remember they had informix instances, but all their distribution centers are relying on Informix since 1993...)

I have also recensed a good number of customers who have heavy and complex informix infrastructure, where 1 DBA runs between 16-30 instances.

I guess if you have 1500 instances, they must be pretty much similar in design. If you switch to 11.70, DBA requirements are much less since more and more DBA tasks can be fully automated ( this is why Cisco chose Informix for their telephone systems )

I invite anybody concerned by those figures to fulfill the poll on linkedin, where you also can see the results:
    here is the url

The same poll is on Facebook

This is a way to have an estimate on how complex Administration of Informix instances is. This won't fully answer your question, but will provide guidelines.

Don't forget that the replies include only the primary DBA, not the backup DBA.
    Eric
    Last edited by begooden-it; 03-13-12 at 12:05.