Unanswered: error 1045: access denied for 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Hi,

I've been trying very hard to install mysql on my windows xp 32-bit machine for quite a long time now, but unfortunately, always on the verge of completion: when the process moves to 'Modify Security Settings' and we are asked to provide a password and then confirm it, is where the actual problem lies.

After that once press the 'execute' button: the error always creeps up while it has to apply security settings.

I'm now really tired of this problem.

Kindly help help me resolve this issue...pl

The error message indicates that it is attempting to login to the MySQL server without a password which fails. Have you tried not providing a password? I have never installed this myself on Windows so I do not have first hand experience on the process of installation.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Yes, I did try out with giving password, i.e by not checking 'Modify security settings'.
    And it kind of works fine and also creates an instance and sets it as a Windows Service.

But the problem lies when I try starting up the MySql through command prompy, the first thing is that it asks for password, like: 'Enter Password: '..and once the enter key is pressed the screen goes off...vanishes!

What is the solution to this problem of mine??

Pl guide me someone...

Provided Answers: 59
    create a user id with password,
    don't use the root account
    read the security FAQ that you shgould have been pointed to when you installed the server
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

When you say the command prompt, you mean C:\> and then you type in mysql? If this is the case then you need to make sure you only type in the following:

C:\> mysql -u root

with no additional parameters. If you add the -p it then prompts you for the password.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

Database design help

<?php
    include("../../temp_con/config.php");

// The above include file has established a connection to a database that has sample person and financial data
    // I need to do the following with the data. Can someone please help me

// 1. Display each person's information (Name, Address, Phone, Email) followed by the financial history ordered by date in ascending order.
    // 2. Format the phone number as (xxx) xxx-xxxx
    // 3. Format date as mm/dd/yyyy.
    // 4. Determine and display the outstanding balance for each person at the end of their financial history.
    // 5. Lastly, update the "balances" table to the outstanding balance for the person at hand (currently all balances in this table are 0.00).

// Database information:
    // Below are the details concerning the tables
    // 4 tables "people", "address", "charges" and "balances"

// table people columns: peopleID, lastName, firstName, emailAddress, phone
    // table address columns: id, peopleID, address_line_1, address_line_2, city, state, zip
    // table charges: id, peopleID, date_created, description, type (5=charge; 10=payment), amount
    // table balance: id, peopleID, balance

?>