Unanswered: Need code converted from VBA to SQL

I'm a newbie - and not a programmer (although if I was a young whippersnapper I'd pursue a career in programming - I've tinkered around with it just a bit & found that I love this stuff!).

I'm a small business owner that needs some help, not sure if this is the right place but you gotta start somewhere, right?

I have a VB script that I need to convert to SQL format. It's a script that links our parcel shipping program (which is a "one off" program we had written years ago) to our accounting database (MS Dynamics GP Professional v10 running on SQL 2005 v 9.0, sp3, Workgroup Edition).

Am I barking up the right tree? If so, what do I do? Copy & paste the VB code into a post? Attach the .vbs file to a post? Do you need the "plain English business logic" version of what I want the code to do (e.g. a Word doc that describes what the code does)?

Any and all advice/help/direction is much appreciated!

bugman

Quote Originally Posted by bugman58 View Post
    I'm a newbie - and not a programmer (although if I was a young whippersnapper I'd pursue a career in programming - I've tinkered around with it just a bit & found that I love this stuff!).

I'm a small business owner that needs some help, not sure if this is the right place but you gotta start somewhere, right?

I have a VB script that I need to convert to SQL format. It's a script that links our parcel shipping program (which is a "one off" program we had written years ago) to our accounting database (MS Dynamics GP Professional v10 running on SQL 2005 v 9.0, sp3, Workgroup Edition).

Am I barking up the right tree? If so, what do I do? Copy & paste the VB code into a post? Attach the .vbs file to a post? Do you need the "plain English business logic" version of what I want the code to do (e.g. a Word doc that describes what the code does)?

Any and all advice/help/direction is much appreciated!

bugman
    There is a Visual Basic forum which might be a better place to start. Then again vb scripts are DTS/SSIS so it may be a database question? I say post it and let me take a look see.

VB code...

Thanks for the prompt reply corncrowe.

The code was too many lines for this posting window, so I've attached it, changed to a .txt extension.

Thanks for looking!

bugman

Thanks for the prompt reply corncrowe.

The code was too many lines for this posting window, so I've attached it, changed to a .txt extension.

Thanks for looking!

bugman
    Gonna take some time. I do have GP experience.
    Unfortunately the script will not easily convert to DML (stored procedures). It is an xml web application which has prepared xml documents (shipmentResponse = CreateObject("MSXML.DomDocument")
    shipmentResponse.LoadXml(GetResponse()))??

I converted the code to vb.net (ssis script task) and it would be a job to try and convert this to sql. Might I ask why? P.S. I visited your web site just for reference.

Jon
    Last edited by corncrowe; 03-14-12 at 23:23.

Our current parcel shipping program (which that code was written for) was a custom one-off program. The company that wrote it was purchased by another firm some years back, so we have no support for our current program. It's been working fine, so we've been cautiously strolling along.

Now, Fedex is changing the way their "mothership" communicates with third party shipping programs (discontinuing their Web API services & changing to "Fedex Web Solutions"). Their Web API connections will cease to work at the end of May.

Rather than have our aging, non-supported program updated, it's time to switch to a program that has ongoing support, and we've chosen ShipRush, by Z-Firm Solutions. It has great features, is very user friendly, and isn't too expensive (which is important for me right now!).

It readily accepts custom code to read from & write back to our MS Dynamics SQL database (it's easily pasted into a SQL code box within ShipRush), so we need the FUNCTIONALITY of that VB code in a SQL script.

A doc outlining the business logic is attached in case you want to see that.

Thanks again for any help or advice you can offer.

bugman
    Attached Files Attached Files

Our current parcel shipping program (which that code was written for) was a custom one-off program. The company that wrote it was purchased by another firm some years back, so we have no support for our current program. It's been working fine, so we've been cautiously strolling along.

Now, Fedex is changing the way their "mothership" communicates with third party shipping programs (discontinuing their Web API services & changing to "Fedex Web Solutions"). Their Web API connections will cease to work at the end of May.

Rather than have our aging, non-supported program updated, it's time to switch to a program that has ongoing support, and we've chosen ShipRush, by Z-Firm Solutions. It has great features, is very user friendly, and isn't too expensive (which is important for me right now!).

It readily accepts custom code to read from & write back to our MS Dynamics SQL database (it's easily pasted into a SQL code box within ShipRush), so we need the FUNCTIONALITY of that VB code in a SQL script.

A doc outlining the business logic is attached in case you want to see that.

Thanks again for any help or advice you can offer.

bugman
    Ok, I have both the script and business logic. I will download the free trial of ShipRush and look at it tomorrow. I will try to help with the conversion, no charge. But we should communicate via email. I'll send you a private message later. No promises I can help, but most likely I can make this happen. Well I have nothing better to do between jobs. Good practice. Jon