Database design help

Hi dBforums,

I am fairly new to databases. The structure of the data is this: I have a table of Measurement Points. Measurements Points are specific to a Device. I have a relation between points and device. An example of a device would be 'Line 2 voltmeter', with points 'Voltage a', 'Voltage b', and 'Voltage c'. In reality a device has close to 50 measurement points.

I have made a query so that when I add a device to Device table, all the additional points show up in the 'Master Points' query which is every device and its points. The problem is that I need to add unique fields to results query, for example 'High limit'. This is because the same measurement on different devices will have a unique 'High limit'.

Help would greatly appreciated, I have been struggling to figure out how to do it. I was thinking the strategy would be to do a Make Table or Update query, but after trying for a while I'm not quite sure...

-Justin

Quote Originally Posted by jusmai77 View Post
    The structure of the data is this: I have a table of Measurement Points. Measurements Points are specific to a Device. I have a relation between points and device. An example of a device would be 'Line 2 voltmeter', with points 'Voltage a', 'Voltage b', and 'Voltage c'. In reality a device has close to 50 measurement points.

I have made a query so that when I add a device to Device table, all the additional points show up in the 'Master Points' query which is every device and its points. The problem is that I need to add unique fields to results query, for example 'High limit'. This is because the same measurement on different devices will have a unique 'High limit'.

Help would greatly appreciated, I have been struggling to figure out how to do it. I was thinking the strategy would be to do a Make Table or Update query, but after trying for a while I'm not quite sure...
    I assume you have defined three tables e.g. DEVICES, MEASUREMENTPOINTS and MEASUREMENTS with relationship like...

DEVICES <===>> MEASUREMENTPOINTS <===>> MEASUREMENTS

Where: <===>> means one-to-many.

... is that correct?

Would you mind in posting the structure of those tables and rephrase the actual issue at hand?

I made an image, I hope this explains the situation:

http://i.imgur.com/1kale.png

Thanks for taking a look at this!