Unanswered: db2 server deployment

hello,

i need to set up db2 ESE production environment on linux machine(centos 6.2). i have 300 gb of hard disk, and i want
    to put my db2 files on separate disk partition. so please tell me what would be the best practice to achieve good performance,
    i mean am i right to make a separate disk partition. will it enhance the server performance or it will give the same performance.

and what should be the optimal size for that partition. please reply soon.

thanks

If you are logically partitioning one disk, or one array, it is not going to make any difference in performance if you partition it. If you have multiple disks or multiple arrays, then best practice is make sure the following are all on separate spindles for recovery purposes in case of a disk or array failure:
    • tablespace containers and database directory (automatic storage paths)
    • transaction logs
    • backups

For performance reasons, it is best to have transaction logs on separate physical spindles from the database automatic storage paths. But whether this is noticeable depends on the transaction rate of changes to the database.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by bhardwajrahul View Post
    hello,

i need to set up db2 ESE production environment on linux machine(centos 6.2). i have 300 gb of hard disk, and i want
    to put my db2 files on separate disk partition. so please tell me what would be the best practice to achieve good performance,
    i mean am i right to make a separate disk partition. will it enhance the server performance or it will give the same performance.

and what should be the optimal size for that partition. please reply soon.

thanks
    Not sure I understand your question. Will you create a new partition on the same set of physical disks? Not sure how that is going to improve performance, can you elaborate on your thoughts here? With db2 files do you mean the files that get's installed with db2, or is it the data? If it's data, it's almost impossible to give detailed advise without knowing more in detail what your are planning to use your system for, but as a rule of thumb, keep logs, temp and data on different set of disks. You might want to look into ssd storage, especially for your random I/O. Typically one would use 5-20 traditional disks per cpu.

/Lennart

thanks alot lelle12 and Marcus_A

actually i am new on db2 and i dont know much abt the possibilities that can come across in future. actually i wanted to put all installation file and db2 files on separate physical partition which i will make during OS installation.

i just want to know will this be a good exercise or it will not help me much.

please also tell me the best practice u can suggest.

thanks.

Provided Answers: 1