Red face Unanswered: database convertion

Hello,

I have a well design Mainframe DB2 database and now I like to convert the database structure to a SQL server 2008 database. My friends said that it can be done using Power Designer. I am new to Power Designer too. That why I have try to convert it for over a week and come out with nothing. Have anyone have done this or know how to do this? Please help.

Thanks in advance,

MrBoTay

Provided Answers: 4
    There is a command in DB2 (db2look, it's a command line), to extract the DDL-scripts of the database (CREATE TABLE, PK's, FK's, CHECK Constraints, Triggers, views, SP's, ....). Once you have that on file, get it to your PC.

Search for Reverse engineering in the menu's of Power Designer. You can select the database, with ODBC or from a script. Select Script and select the file db2look generated for you. Be patient for a minute while PowerDesigner generates a Physical Data Mode (PDM).

Voila!

Now you have an alphabetically ordered schema of your database. You can edit that visual representation, until you have something where the tables are better arranged.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Thank you very much, I will try to do it.

Provided Answers: 54
    Sybase Power Designer can use IBM's DB2Connect (and other drivers) to connect to mainframe DB2. Note that not all zOS DB2 versions are supported, and contact your zOS DB2 admin (probably either a DBA or the RACF administrator) to see what Windows tools they support. Pick the conectivity tool of your choice, and configure PowerDesigner to use it to connect to your DB2 instance.

Once you connect to DB2, you can use the PowerDesigner "Reverse Engineer" tool to extract the entire DB2 schema. This will create a PowerDesigner data model that you can then manipulate as needed and eventually use to create an MS-SQL database.

Give some thought to how your DB2 system uses tablespaces, you probably want to reverse engineer them so that they can become MS-SQL filegroups. If you don't understand this connection, take time to understand it before you start the reverse engineering process!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks

Thanks Pat,

I am surely need to learn those connection.

Thanks again,

MrBoTay