Question Unanswered: Some reports suddenly print to wrong printer

I have several reports that has been running flawlessly for over a year. Suddenly some of them started to print to the wrong printer -- a remote printer unknown to the user's profile, bypassing the user's default printer. Also, this only happens to certain users most of the time, so it's somewhat random. I globally searched the code and was unable to find a reference to this printer. I also checked a few of the reports to see if the printer name is embedded and found that it is not. Has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks.
    Last edited by VBAGurl; 03-27-12 at 12:35.

Provided Answers: 59
    sounds like a network user profile issue rather than an Access issue

it could be down to anything, but my guess is your network trolls have awoken from their slumber and 'upgraded' something or tinkered with a group profile or permissions
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I suggested something similar to I.S., but they have no clue. They insist it's in the DB, but it can't be. I think I'll have to write code to work around this new problem since I.S. is stumped.

Dunno if this will help or not. I just googled it because I was curious:
    GetDefaultPrinterA()
    How to retrieve and set the default printer in Windows

That code is for Windows, not Access, but thanks anyway.

Provided Answers: 6
    Make sure in Page Setup in one of the problem reports that a specific printer hasn't been specified.
    Paul

but your network trolls would say that

As PBaldy suggests check to make certain that a specific printer hasn't been defined in the relevant report(s) design.

if you cannot track down the problem I suggest you visit the network trolls and beat the bejasus out of them. it may not help you fix the problem but you will feel a heck of a lot better for it, trust me, it works (most of the time

it may be that there has been an update of Office or JET or someone has tinkered with group permissionjs

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Make sure in Page Setup in one of the problem reports that a specific printer hasn't been specified.
    Yes, I did that already. I also did a global search of the code to make sure there was no reference to the other printer (which I was sure didn't exist). The strange thing is that printer is not specified in the users' profiles or mine, yet the problem persists...and goes away on its own at times.

just wondering if they are running some other software that remaps printers?

Provided Answers: 19
    Are you or the errant machines using Access 2007? With SP2 installed? There was a problem with Printers and this Service Pack, wherein old apps printed to the correct printers but new apps didn't. The hotfix, if this is your situation, is at

Description of the Access 2007 hotfix update: March 31, 2008

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Are you or the errant machines using Access 2007? With SP2 installed? There was a problem with Printers and this Service Pack, wherein old apps printed to the correct printers but new apps didn't. The hotfix, if this is your situation, is at

Description of the Access 2007 hotfix update: March 31, 2008

Linq ;0)>
    I and the two users who have experienced the problem are still running Access 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    just wondering if they are running some other software that remaps printers?
    "They", meaning I.S.? There is no way for me to know for sure. I doubt it because the printer to which the reports are being redirected is in a different city. The users in City A would have no reason to print to the printer in City B. But I don't know what's happening behind the scenes.