Unanswered: Front/Back end question

I have an existing Access database that I need to transfer over to a more powerful backend due to the need for larger size capacity. We need to be able to have a backend that can exist up to just about any size due to us scanning in documents by ODBC. With Access I know I was limited to about 4gb size and when split onto my current SQL server I have heard I will be stuck at 10gb? If so can you recommend a better backend, but my question is about the front end. I hear Windows WPF can be linked into SQL server but does this limit the size as well?

Provided Answers: 54
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Limits are large enough that they don't make sense in terms of today's hardware. The ].pdf]Edition limitations may affect you sooner than the underlying limitations of the database engine. It is almost trivial to upgrade to an edition with more capacity, so buy what you need and upgrade if you exceed the limitations of your current edition. At least in terms of hardware that you can buy today, you will run out of hardware resources LONG before any limiations of SQL Server become an issue.

Microsoft Access works well on the desktop, scales nicely to the workgroup, but generally runs into limitations imposed by its design paradigm before you reach a terrabyte of data or 100 simultaneous users. In the hands of a dedicated professional, Microsoft Access can scale to almost any size but most systems tend to be under one hundred Gb of data and thirty simultaneous users.

-PatP
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 03-27-12 at 23:26.
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Awesome

Thats great to hear, someone was just telling me today that a single table can be no larger than 10gb, which could end up being a huge problem. But that is definitely good to hear! My other question is has anyone used Visual Studio for the front end of their database? I am hearing it make a much more professional front end than Access but it takes a lot more work to create!

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, I have severa individual tables that are over 700 Gb, and have had a old client that had a single table that was 5384 Gb (that's over 5 Tb).

Yes, you can use Visual Studio to build Web clients (aka "thin" clients) and Desktop client applications (aka "fat" clients) for Visual Studio.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.