Unanswered: If you had to restore a database 25 years from now, what files would you include?

I've taken over some mysql dba tasks. I have a SQL Server background. Mysql is pretty new to me. We're running this on redhat. The current set up is a nightly cold backup that includes ibdata files, .err files, .frm, .MYD/MYI files.

There is a particular request to retain data for 25 years. I'm not 100% sure what files the previous dba was sending for this 25 year archive. Would some form of log suffice? I do believe this can occur on a monthly basis. Should I tar and zip the cold backup and use that? The last question seems like the safest. Perhaps the cnf files too?

i would save only the .sql files produced by the mysqldump utility

especially if you're saving the data for a quarter century!!
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 12
    I would probably dump the whole database to text (aka "CSV") files.

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    I would probably dump the whole database to text (aka "CSV") files.
    really? you don't think the CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements are safe enough?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    really? you don't think the CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements are safe enough?
    Assuming that in 25 years the data will most probably stored somehow differently my guess is, that it will be easier to convert text files into a different format than SQL files.

But you have a point: keeping the actual schema definition around (as SQL scripts, but without data) is probably a good idea as well

Another option would be XML files that contained the structure and the data.